Z22SE EGR pipe removal

Johnss

Saw this picture of z22se EGR system pipe connecting the intake manifold. egr.jpg
I'm thinking as it is in the way of the air flow, would removing the pipe give any benefit for the engine?
p.s. I'm already have removed egr valve and fitted the cheater.

IDI AMIN

Yes the benefit is there is no dirty exhaust gases going back into cylinder head .
You blank it off at the inlet manifold with one of these from V.W or e bay
vw plug.jpg

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
it realy wont make any difference with or without the front pipe once the egr blanking plate is fitted
it is just a n/a 2.2 after all

patricks

Ah well, no harming in asking i suppose :) i just figured that it might work because porting the throttle body involves removing even less metal area from the air flow and that seems to make a small but worthwhile difference

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i took mine off and never saw any gain i only took it off as i thought what was the point in it being there now the egr was blanked lol oh and that braid that was on it started to go white

identiti66

Yes the benefit is there is no dirty exhaust gases going back into cylinder head .
You blank it off at the inlet manifold with one of these from V.W or e bay
View attachment 60948

Sorry for bumping this but I have the part in question to fit but am wondering where the o-ring goes..the way I see it there's a couple of options and it may not be obvious once I unbolt the thing.
Anyone help a chap out?

identiti66

The good news is that the plug didn't need any fettling whatsoever.. :)

Popped it in straight outta the box, with o-ring, slipped the C clip down, job's a goodun.

IDI AMIN

The good news is that the plug didn't need any fettling whatsoever.. :)

Popped it in straight outta the box, with o-ring, slipped the C clip down, job's a goodun.

You done well there, i had to sand the centre bit a little with rough sand paper to get mine to fit and also without the rubber ring
i would recommend putting some silicone sealant around the head of the plug where it meets the manifold ,as mine popped out 1 night after leaving a shop when i started up
Luckily i was 2 mins from house and limped home once i got there i realised what was up and walked back round to shop and found plug #

Imagine if it happened on a motorway or something and you are not close to home

identiti66

That's a plan.. probably get a spare for the glovebox too.. just in case.
Is it obvious (if driving) that the plug's fallen out?