Does the Z22SE oil filler cap

identiti66

come apart?

I mean, is it east to get the yellow part off (and refit it)?

identiti66

I'd have to buy a spare.. and it'd have to be new. and genuine GM.. hence I don't really want to dismantle it if reassembly is an issue :)

Daz86

Someone has taken 1 apart

i think it was Daz86

but im not sure if it was a take apart or cut apart[/QUOTE

Yer was me Dave I just popped the top of with a small flat screwdriver it's only glued together I think and easly glued back together

What's your cunning plan identiti66

identiti66

What's your cunning plan identiti66

Weeeell I don't really like to spill since most of my plans turn to crap or come to nought but..
I used to dye wheels on RC cars so was going to have a bash at doing similarly on an oil filler cap.. I like the original cap but not the colour. I want a black one.

Daz86

Good idea mate what do you use to dye them ? I've got a cupple of nitro trucks I've just sprayed the wheels lol

identiti66

RIT liquid dye... mix it with water (can't remember the ratios), put it in a saucepan and keep it heated for a while. To dye wheels they need to be bare nylon. I bought plain white wheels and dyed them purple for my E-Savage.

Pics are on another hard drive so I can't show you. Worked well on those though, hence I want to try and have a black oil filler cap. Cant find one I want anywhere online.

identiti66

I thought about spraying it but I'd be lucky if I could get a decent finish and then it has to last, looking fresh as a daisy until I no longer have the car.

Dave Gilbert

The mobil 1 cap fitted to the colbalt i believe. Is a nice upgrade.

evocarlos has more details on that cap. But i would be interested in a dyed black 1 if it does work.

al see how much i can get new caps for n see if you could do a few. ;)

identiti66

Postage kinda kills the Mobil 1 cap.. and, as nice as it is, the branding doesn't work for me.

I was quoted ~£6 trade from the main dealer. I would have bought one but he didn't have any in stock (and it's nearly a tenner in fuel for the round trip which kinda defeats the purpose)..

Vauxhall World Parts do them for about £7 with the vat but then add £4 postage.. add in the cost of the dye and it's nearly £20 a cap.

Googling the part number, for some reason this came up.. I could cope with the wrong grade of oil on it but not sure if it looks like it'd fit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281827279236?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649