Do I need a new engine?

KevinH

So there were definitely no camshaft followers dislodged ?
...and was it still making a rattling metallic sound when he started it ?

As mentioned above, at 122K miles it is well overdue for renewal of both chain kits and that's assuming it's been serviced regularly.
From your pictures it looks as though it could do with an oil (& filter) change now - has it been changed since the last service at 103K ?

Last edited:
when i first got it yes its got 122000 on the clock now though, can't drop the oil or change filter till I get paid next week so its staying up the drive for now. There wasn't anything out of place or dislodged and couldn't hear rattle just misfiring now. Once i get the misfire problem sorted I will be trying to get the cash together to have the chains done then I will ask Carl to see if he will do the chains for Me.

KevinH

OK - that sounds good. (y)
When you get round to changing the oil, would recommend using fully synthetic oil (if budget allows), but it will require another change when the chains are done.
Carl's a 'top man' when it comes to the chains. :)

KevinH

If you decide to put a new set of spark plugs in, only tighten them to the recommended torque (20 Nm) as there is a water gallery that runs close to No. 4, and over-tightening can crack the head (you probably know this already from reading the forum).
Also recommend the standard tri-electrode plugs (9199038).

new plugs in and still the same, just a thought but with the plug i took out of number 4 having a bit of oil on it could that possibly mean that ring has gone hence the awful misfire and no power as i have just taken the new plug out of number 4 and that has oil on now

KevinH

The above is usually an indication of worn bores, piston rings or valve guides.

If possible, try and do a compression test on each cylinder (dry & wet).
I would be suspicious of the rattling metallic sound you experienced and mentioned earlier in the thread.

im going to start stripping the car back down in the morning and have decided to replace the piston rings any way due to the oil on spark plug number 4, just not sure where to get them from as yet

KevinH

If you're going to do that then you may as well fit new chain kits at the same time and It would probably be easier to do all this with the engine out if you have the facilities. :)

Last edited:
wont be able to remove engine as I'm going to have to attempt this on My own up the drive outside My house, I know basic stuff but biggest jobs I've ever done Myself of car's is changing front suspension and replacing corroded brake lines, hence the reason I have spent the last hour or so searching for a "how to" on replacing the rings

Thank You Carl for the info, Kevin has sent Me a link to checkout for the ring's which I am going to look at once the kid's decide to go to bed (can't concentrate whilst they are running about and being noisy) and will also be taking a look on ebay.
I only have basic mechanical knowledge & My biggest task's to date I have undertaken on My car are changing front suspension & replacing corroded brake pipe's (working off a how-to I must of read at least 100 time's) but this is a whole new ball game for Me and I never imagined that I would be getting prepared to remove the cylinder head and go deep into an engine.
I will keep everyone updated as to how I'm getting on and Thank You for all the help and information You Guy's have given Me already, it's very much appreciated.

HarleyPete

My best bit of advice is don't rush, check everything twice before moving on to the next step. Better to take longer and get it right than to rush it and have a wrist pin clip come out or find you've lined all the rings up together.

I've spent a good few day's & night's reading up on thing's and have just come in for a brew as it's raining, Oh well no going back now I've made a start taking the car apart so I can see what need's to be done & must admit up to now I've enjoyed every minute of it even though I'm not 100 % confident.

So far so good :)

Attachments

• Made a start.jpg
    Made a start.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 159