Different gearboxes

mikeymac186

i did a bit of reading but since im no mechanic, its all gobbledy gook really to me. so, does the astra have a f23 gearbox, and is it ok to put a f25 or a f28 in instead, and what kinda differene does this make except the extra gear? will it pull harder, go faster top end etc?

vocky

Staff
there are only two manual gearboxes which will fit the z22se and even one of those is for the z22yh :wtf:

z22se = f23 5 speed
z22yh = M32 6 speed

mikeymac186

ok, then, with the m32, do you get any increase in top speed or acceleration or is it simply for allowin the extra gear so wen ur sittin at 70 :roll: u dont use too much fuel

vocky

Staff
depends which M32 you use, the vectra has a final drive ratio of 3.65, the signum 3.83

OR

you can use the corsa vxr M32 internals and create a 4.17 - which is what I have done (y)

mikeymac186

ohhh, didnt realise there were a few options of m32, which way does the ratios work? is the corsa vxr geared for more acceleration than the vectra and signum? think i would go for higher top speed, so i can erm...... save moneuy on the motorway wen doing a respectable speed :LOL: cheers..

vocky

Staff
the 6 speed conversion will cost over a grand :wtf:

the standard z22yh vectra 3.65 would give good fuel economy or you could use the cdti diesel M32 internals which would give a 3.35 final drive ratio, that would be damn slow but excellent fuel economy :confused:

rod1-sri

sorry for resurecting an old thread but what would the advantages of having the corsa vxr gearbox fitted? i've found that with the standard box it doesnt really shift untill higher in the rev range and was thinking of a way to solve this...

would a box change help or am i barking up the wrong tree? notsure.gif

vocky

Staff
the 4.17 zafira SG gearbox is the best solution to altering the gearing, top speed will be no different unless you have loads of bhp to hit the rev limiter in 5th :LOL:

rod1-sri

would you consider it a worth while change then vocky? bearing in mind my car in pretty much standard atm

DJBadBoi

I may have to see about one of these :) thats a good price mate.
If i was to find one myself how do i know ive got the right box what numbers etc do i need to look for??