dewismotorsport's Astra coupe

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
8 valves and 8 guides as there all inlet it cracks the guides also did it actually smash any of the rollers ? not seen any broken ones to date
think i just prized one of mine out with a screwdriver the ex one slid out

dewismotorsport

8 valves and 8 guides as there all inlet it cracks the guides also did it actually smash any of the rollers ? not seen any broken ones to date
think i just prized one of mine out with a screwdriver the ex one slid out

Iirc it's all exhaust valves bent and two inlet, and pretty sure 6 out the 8 rollers are smashed to bits. Will get some pics tomorrow

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Iirc it's all exhaust valves bent and two inlet, and pretty sure 6 out the 8 rollers are smashed to bits. Will get some pics tomorrow
i can tell from the pic it has 8 bent inlet valves :) i fixed one up just recently with the same damage but the rollers were fine i would still like to see a pic :)

dewismotorsport

Are the concave valves the exhaust or inlet? I can't remember I was more interested in getting the balancer shafts out :LOL:

Will grab some pics, there was needle bearings everywhere

dewismotorsport

@evocarlos most have either smashed or have a crack in them on the inlet side
ai693.photobucket.com_albums_vv292_dewismotorsport_ABBEF91C_84497b76cdafb4d409f6f04c7b19a2023e.jpg

My thoughts are with the piston hitting the valve the rollers have come off there settings and then got jammed between cam and valve has kept hitting them, as they were scattered around the head

dewismotorsport

Got round to digging out the HJS Motorsport 100 cell cat and welded some 3" to 2" reducers on so I can replace the standard cat, also bought a lambda cheater as well just in case it brings the EML on.
ai693.photobucket.com_albums_vv292_dewismotorsport_18ADCC29_F3e504b9c2d4a8bd68dde3a0cc14846cc9.jpg
ai693.photobucket.com_albums_vv292_dewismotorsport_4835F14F_E4e29522bf65f6edaa77bbd28ccbb6bee1.jpg
Also made some EGR valve blanks so I can remove it with the cheater I bought
ai693.photobucket.com_albums_vv292_dewismotorsport_9AB2D6E4_35d51c580e34acbd639486f628a2704145.jpg

dewismotorsport

New rear discs and pads turned up, a little over kill for the rear but any extra braking on track is always welcomed, and let's be honest no one ever said "my brakes are too good"
ai693.photobucket.com_albums_vv292_dewismotorsport_8A237F11_757dff79bf0faf4e74798614c26d4a4761.jpg
All fitted, pads were a pain in the arse as they didn't fit once the clips were on so had to file the ends to get them in and be able to move. Not good really for the price paid but have had to do it before on other performance pads but still annoying.
ai693.photobucket.com_albums_vv292_dewismotorsport_04B9314B_030215d786c87f547adf68ec5645d9b5d7.jpg

dewismotorsport

That is poor for EBC, did you coat the discs yourself?

Yeah bad really, front pads fitted fine though so strange really.

No the discs came like that, black part has scrubbed off the disc already on the part the pad touches, the other part will hopefully prevent rust for a bit

dewismotorsport

Well drive home to Coventry was eventful, half way home and the power steering stopped working and then slowly every light on the dash came on till eventually car was firing on 3 so chucked it in the nearest layby, the alternator had stopped working arse!
ai693.photobucket.com_albums_vv292_dewismotorsport_F679997B_A3583922bf9a4cb2d18ae219d5c0d65413.jpg
Car wouldn't restart as battery was too low, AA to the rescue with a jump pack to get it started, used the old trick of giving the alternator a good whack with a hammer and extention bar and it kicked back into life, so on my way I went, clearly the brushes are bunged up with crap as it's only about a year or so old as I fitted a re furbed so will get it back down to work and remove it and give it a strip down and re fresh, failing that I will chuck on a spare I have

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
get it back down to work and remove it and give it a strip down and re fresh, failing that I will chuck on a spare I have
i did a guide for that lol
https://z22se.co.uk/resources/z22se-alternator-repair.84/

the only thing that really fails on them is the regulator pack all the parts can be bought on ebay from a guy in ireland for a full strip and diy rebuild
but a working one from the bay is still only £30-40
edit oh you have one :)

Last edited by a moderator:

dewismotorsport

Ha ha I didn't doubt for a minute that you had stripped and rebuilt one :D

I'll have a read of the guide and order some rebuild parts, will probably just stick the spare on for now then, cheers