Crushed oil filter.

rushy

I did an oil change at the weekend and my oil filter is all twisted and more than likely crushed. The cars using oil and I get smoke when I start it in the morning. I've put this down to valve guides going. However I've noticed oil coming out of the intake where it meets the tb.

What causes the filter to crush/twist? It was a gen gm one (kenda I think it was branded) I remember Benny mentioning a cause years ago but can't remember the cause now.

figo126

does it look like this?

Attachments

• DSC_0018_2.JPG
    DSC_0018_2.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 272

rushy

possibly the oil pressure relief valve is sticking in the oil pump, so perhaps too much oil pressure ?
Too much oil pressure? Would an overfill of oil cause this? With the Forte flush I drained just over 5 litres of oil out and it took the full 5 litres to top it back up to the MAX on the dipstick. I remember there being a Field Remedy years back that the dipstick gave the wrong reading and the engine should take 4.75L but that was vecb/astra age, mines a 2004 SE in a Vec c so would have though it was sorted by then. In fact it got a new engine fitted under warranty in 2006.

figo126

I had a spare oil pump so I stripped the pressure relief valve to make sure it wasn't sticking , and replaced the full thing , been ok since ,

corsaZ22se

you sure it was a genuine gm part? hengst make the 2.2 filters for gm.
I have seen a lot of pattern part ones with very similar writing to gm ones over the years. they all break up/twist.
also if the seal is not lubricated when installed they can twist. as can over due servicing, poor oil, and to much pressure.

rushy

you sure it was a genuine gm part? hengst make the 2.2 filters for gm.
I have seen a lot of pattern part ones with very similar writing to gm ones over the years. they all break up/twist.
also if the seal is not lubricated when installed they can twist. as can over due servicing, poor oil, and to much pressure.
Yes mate, I always drop into Autovaux for my oil but always get my filter from Vauxhall. Its the same filter as I've been getting for years. I'm sure it started with a K, in a sort of gold outline style of writing. I've got to change the rear springs tomorrow for its MOT (bloody eibach spring has snapped :( ) If I have time before the rugby kicks off I'll take a look at the fitted filter and see how it is and confirm the brand name on it.