crankshaft sensor location?

SYMON

I would like to know where the crank sensor is loacted please as I need to investigate it and possibly replace it.

I understand its located "behind the inlet manifold near the oil filter housing".

Is this correct and what will I need to remove to locate it?

Thanks Simon

SYMON

I had a feel around and could see two electrical components behind the oil filter housing, is it one of those, they look a right bugger to get to. Looks like I would need to remove the inlet manifold to access them. Or is that not them.

God I cant wait until the 02> Haynes comes out for the Vectra

vocky

Staff
the one which bolts onto the block is the knock sensor, the one which goes into the block is the crank sensor cheers..

SYMON

I have located this, for anybody who needs to remove theirs, then read on:

Part number: 12567712
Price: £22.15 plus £1.80 off ebay from vauxhallpartswarehouse

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, THIS IS A MUST.

To access the crank sensor, you need to remove the starter motor which is held on my two torx bolts, an 11mm socket will however undo them easily without damage to the bolt as they are not very tight.

You will need to raise the front end up of the car, you can just jack one side up if you like as this will give enough access to the underneith, use an axle stand for safety.

The top bolt is hard to access, but there is sufficient space to get an extension bar and socket onto the bolt from working in the engine bay, lay it on top of the starter motor and it will need to be say 2" longer than the starter motor, you must then go under the car and put the ratchet on and undo the bolt.

Before you undo the lower bolt, you need to remove a wire from the starter motor, there are a few, but you need to remove the large one in the middle as the loom is very neat and also very short, thus not allowing the motor to be withdrawn.

Unclip the oil sensor on the sump as the wires get in the way and now you can undo the second starter motor bolt, the starter motor still has one wire connected but you can rest it nearby and out of the way.

Now you will see the crankshaft / crank sensor, unclip the wire to it and use a 10mm socket to remove the bolt, and out it will wiggle.

Make sure you plug the connector into the new crank sensor after you fit it, and the wire to the starter motor, and also the connector back into the sump.

Re-connect the battery.

Quite an easy job really, just a little awkward.

luna_s

i did mine at the weekend, did it from the top after removing the inlet, i guess it would be easier from underneath, but i'd already took the inlet off to get to the alternator, not that hard to replace

robwillis69

To get perfect access i would remove front bumper and rad.. then it will stare you in the face, sounds alot to do but its easy when you done it once.

SYMON

robwillis69 said:
To get perfect access i would remove front bumper and rad.. then it will stare you in the face, sounds alot to do but its easy when you done it once.

You get perfect access by removing the starter motor, it does stare you in the face once removed.