Covers for brake and coolant reservoirs

identiti66

So I've been googling for black covers for the aforementioned parts to no avail.

If anyone knows a source for these things that aren't chrome or polished I'd appreciate the info..

Alternatively, I could try DIY'ing it but can only thing of acrylic as a medium.. but it gets pretty hot under the Z22 bonnet so I'm thinking that might deform pretty quick?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...

identiti66

The bottles..
The coolant cap is (now) black, the brake fluid one was already black.

Worst way I could buy chrome/polished ones, rub them down and paint them. But they carry a premium so I'd rather look for alternative options first.

I thought about getting a new coolant bottle and dying it but then I wouldn't be able to see the coolant level.. dunno if I'm ok with that.

identiti66

That could be cool but I don't have the tools to cut sheet metal (or drill that hole for the neck of the tanks) and make a decent job of it.

Cutting and bending acrylic is much easier.. I'd have a better shot of not making a pigs ear out of that.. Not much use if it turns to crap with engine heat admittedly...

Dave Gilbert

Worth a go with acrylic i wouldnt know where to start with that myself.

But i have a welder n im not scared to use it. Thats why i said steel, cos thats the route i would go if i was going for it.

identiti66

Acrylic's easy.. just need a straight edge and a heat gun. The edges could be 'interesting' to work out, I guess if the bends were accurate enough that might be ok.

Wish I could weld.. need to keep my eyes open for a bargain mig welder.. the missus wants to have a bash too.

If I can get a pot big enough I think I'm going to have a bash at dyeing the coolant header tank.

Dave Gilbert

Id like to see that.

i bought my welder new i think it was £175 sealey mightymig 150

Been a good welder had it about 4-5years now.
Im not bad at sticking 2 pieces of steel together, i wouldnt say i can weld because my weld (on thin steel) look pooo most of the time

identiti66

Need a big stainless steel pot.. would block up all the holes, dunno why but I don't think I want to dye the inside.

That seems cheap for a welder.. the list of larger workshop tools I 'need' is growing...