which would you choose Cloyes or FAI timing/balance chains?

• cloyes

• FAI

Results are only viewable after voting.

AGENTKB

Been looking into both the timing and balance chain kits for my veccy c. Which would you recommend for longevity. cheers

patricks

Cloyes definately are OEM for the chain guides. The original chain guides i pulled out of my engine had cloyes printed on them. OEM for the tensioner is ACDELCO. Dunno if cloyes is also a supplier of OEM tensioner and chain for GM carl seems to to think so

AGENTKB

patricks said:
Cloyes definately are OEM for the chain guides. The original chain guides i pulled out of my engine had cloyes printed on them. OEM for the tensioner is ACDELCO. Dunno if cloyes is also a supplier of OEM tensioner and chain for GM carl seems to to think so
Thanks patricks for the info

Dave Gilbert

I have fai both chains.

balance chain tensioner failed after 3000 miles so i now have a gm tensioner on fai chain kit.

but my engines coming out soon for a few mods so im thinking of doing the timing chain again with gm parts for peice of mind as im going to about 250bhp n dont want it letting go.

AGENTKB

You would need to contact your vendor and prove their item was at fault plus the first thing they would ask is (was it an approved mechanic who fitted it?) Then your arse would be out of the proverbial window. No harm in a asking though.

identiti66

Makes sense.. ta..

Anyone got a part number for the GM balance chain tensioner? If it's not prohibitively expensive I'll have that fitted instead of the FAI one in the kit.

**edit** it's 90537300 and quite pricey

Last edited:

Dave Gilbert

Matt who runs the site did a fantastic job in sorting it out for me

and to be fair to fai they had a faulty batch of about 10 kits effected n delt with the situation quickly n painlessly. So i would still recommend them but with the power im gonna be running im just abit paranoid.

I have a b207r (saab) turbo
B207r injectors
3" decat down pipe
remap

but will be fitting a z20let lightened flywheel
balance shaft delete
c20let clutch
and astra f23 gearbox(so solid flywheel setup like a astra)
N a bigger front mount intercooler.

N will easy see 250bhp but can be more like 260/265 but i want to cap it at 255maximum as its very close to the internals becoming externals lol.

That's me foooooked I've got fai both chain kits only cos of costs if I had the doe gm parts for sure well I'm 400 miles in plus engine running standstill so looking on that 3000 mile life span I better start saving