Z22SE Car is now a kettle

Appie07

Being the stupid clown I am. I wrote a tardish title for this thread.

But I actually have a serious issue which stops me from using the car.

The engine is rebuild and it works fine but the coolant is boiling ?? The temperature also rises beyond normal (which is beyond the middle of the gauge).

I made a video of this. It seems like the coolant is overfilled but this is not the case. It becomes like this when boiling but when it cools off a bit it starts to be below 'kalt'.

I changed it to the Courtenay thermostat 2 years ago which keeps the engine cooler. (Read it somewhere here that it was a good idea).

My mechanic replaced the thermostat to look if this is the problem but its still there. What can it be ???

Appie07

Alright so I got an update. They have tried getting the air out with no avail.

So my mechanic opened the timing chain cover to find the balance chain had snapped.

Apparently one of the balance shafts were stuck and cause the chain to snap.

How do these things get stuck ?

Appie07

The mechanic said that the people, who rebuild my engine, made some modification to the balance shaft bearing since it was oval and not round anymore.

The rebuilding company and mechanic said that the solution was not proper and it stuck the balance shaft, hence breaking the chain. It's not back at the rebuilding company.

There is a different 'break in', high on zddp oil in it with sae 0w30 to properly seat the piston rings against the walls as soon as possible. Do you think this caused it ?

In the meanwhile I can't drive it anymore :(

Appie07

Btw, I never heard of these bearings being modified. Usually they are just replaced or the shaft is being removed in its whole. Is it even legit what they did?

corsaZ22se

breaking in oil would not cause it.
sounds like engine builder damaged bearings when fitting them?
i know they have to go in correctly as there's a whole in the bearing which lines up with oil way in the block.

Appie07

Ah I see. What do you think. Is there some permanent damage possible from this or is it just a matter of putting things correctly?

Hi, Appie. From what I've read I understand your engine snapped the balance chain. I have a question for you. I am currently in the process of replacing the timing chain (kit) and I am trying to save money by not replacing the balance chain and its accessories. Were you able to get the car running after the chain snapped? I know it is recommended to change both but just out of curiosity :)

corsaZ22se

Hi, Appie. From what I've read I understand your engine snapped the balance chain. I have a question for you. I am currently in the process of replacing the timing chain (kit) and I am trying to save money by not replacing the balance chain and its accessories. Were you able to get the car running after the chain snapped? I know it is recommended to change both but just out of curiosity :)
False economy not to change both chains.
Use only GM chain kits as well. Pattern part kits tend to only last a few thousand miles. I had 1 that didn't even last to starting the engine before parts failed:eek:
GM kits for both chains and new gasket are about £200-250 if you shop around.

Hey, thank you for your fast reply. Sure it is wiser to change both, I just cannot afford it at the moment. Since you replied to Appie07 that it should be fine even though the chain broke, I am also wondering what the worst possible scenario could be. Can I delay it or even skip it?

corsaZ22se

Hey, thank you for your fast reply. Sure it is wiser to change both, I just cannot afford it at the moment. Since you replied to Appie07 that it should be fine even though the chain broke, I am also wondering what the worst possible scenario could be. Can I delay it or even skip it?
We do try to help on here when we see new questions.
His was a bit different if you read the whole thread. He had not long had a complete overhaul done on engine and was concerned about if the rest of the engine would still be ok?
Not replacing the chain is not a good move, should it fail and go into the main chain then the engine is a write off pretty much. Also you have to remove the main chain to do the balancer chain, this requires a few new bolts that can only be got from GM and to buy separate will cost £40+ then there is the time taken to do the job twice. If one chain has worn out the other will be in as bad condition. The plastic guide get brittle over the years and do fail too.