Can-Bus or not Can-Bus?

TheA-Team

Greetings all,

I've got a '53 plate 2.2 Veccie SRi (not Direct) and am looking into pc based faultcode readers but am getting conflicting information.

Some say Can-Bus was fitted from 2002 onwards but others say from it was only from 2004!!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me to save my sanity :)

Cheers
TheA-Team

rushy

My 53 plate is half cambus so will need a cambus reader. Do you have buttons or roller wheels on steering wheel to control the stereo? Half cambus has buttons. Actually it doesn't matter what you have you will need cambus reader.

TheA-Team

Cheers vocky,
Just to confuse matters a local garage reckons i will have a "part canbus" system installed.... is there anything i can check to confirm what i have?

I am lookng at something like the Elm Scan software from www.scantool.net but have noticed a few cheap readers on ebay and some open source software that might be good to dabble with. Also the KWP2000 programmers seem to be very cheap so might even get one of them as well to play with :)

rushy

TheA-Team said:
Cheers vocky,
Just to confuse matters a local garage reckons i will have a "part canbus" system installed.... is there anything i can check to confirm what i have?

I am lookng at something like the Elm Scan software from http://www.scantool.net but have noticed a few cheap readers on ebay and some open source software that might be good to dabble with. Also the KWP2000 programmers seem to be very cheap so might even get one of them as well to play with :)
See my post, buttons or roller?

TheA-Team

Sorry rushy went to type reply in but didnot notice your post :(

I have buttons on mine, so will do a bit more research before shelling out any cash :)

Many thanks

markv

I've had an ECU from an Astra 2.2. Compared to the one in the vx220 it has can bus. I don't know if it is made available for diagnostics, didn't test that. We didn't need candi for the Tech2 to do diagnostics, so I don't think so.

When the ECU is mounted in the astra/vectra is seems to use the can bus to at least communicate with the ABS unit. It will probably require the individual wheel speeds from the ABS unit to get the software for traction control and stability control working. When fitting it to my speedster, we got an error saying it couldn't find the ABS unit (which would be correct as the speedster has a different ABS unit from the astra/vectra).

Mark

rushy

shunter said:
All Vectra C's are CAN bus (including the Z22SE's).
Yes mate, as said some are half and some full. My first introduction the the nightmare that is was when I tried to fit a Parrot Kit to half cambus, got round it in the end but its a pain in the arse, you cant just retro fit anything any more most things involve Tech 2 now. :(

shunter

The half-can bus label is a bit of a misnomer. The only thing that isn't CAN in a "half-can" car is the head unit and it's controls, all the other electronic modules communicate using CAN. It's just a description that seems to have caught on.