cam chain

sri2.2est

I got 41K on the clock when should I have cam chain replaced?Its a 2002 model

mjc2.2

Good question m8! If your engine number falls after March 2002 it may have the revised jet fitted! but dont quote me on that! there's enough info on the site for you to investigate,but if i were you i would just get it done!
take it from me my car had only done 45000 and the guide failed im now having an engine transplant as we speak! and its all coming out of my own pocket :evil: :evil: :evil:

Andy Coupé

How do you actually know when its worn or about to snap? Is there some sort of noise indication from the engine bay? Im a bit paranoid with mine some time i hear a rattle on tick over but when i open the bonnet i cant hear it, might be something near the bulkhead or behind the dash..... hopefully :roll:

goatboy

Seemingly the most obvious sign is an obvious rattle at start up (cold).
Get someone else to start the car for you first thing in the morning whilst you stick your head under the bonnet. If you hear a nasty rattle from the cam chain area then thats a pretty good clue...

mjc2.2

Andy Coupé said:
How do you actually know when its worn or about to snap? Is there some sort of noise indication from the engine bay? Im a bit paranoid with mine some time i hear a rattle on tick over but when i open the bonnet i cant hear it, might be something near the bulkhead or behind the dash..... hopefully :roll:

Mine had started to rattle on start up! so i got it booked in! but the very next day one of the chain guides failed....its now cost me nearly 2k in all
but i have had a couple of extra jobs done on top as well!!....
DONT LEAVE IT! JUST GET IT DONE! :)

I put mine in on tuesday for the chain and a few other bits as it started making a noise. I totally agree, it's worth doing no matter what when you get those rattle's!