cam chain timing marks

gary

hello ive fitted a cam chain kit to my vectra z22se today,when i fitted it i turned the engine over a few times by hand to make sure that every thing was ok.what i cant seem to get my head around is that i cant seem to get the links on the camshaft pulleys/crank shaft puley to line up again.......am i doing something wrong.

IDI AMIN

If you had them all properly lined up to begin with before you rotated crankshaft then it is done properly once you rotate ,the coloured links on sprocket marks will not align again for another several hundred more rotations so dont worry about it

IDI AMIN

cheers for that i dont think i could take it to bits again in this weather
I know what you mean ive done mine nearly a dozen times from putting on worn chain thats stretched and too slack and then putting on new chain then stripping it again cause balance shaft guide rails broke on me and then doing it again with thread locker. i can do it stevie wonder style now i think all in freezing cold weather

gary

ive done one before this and i didnt check by turning the engine over but for some reason i did this time.think its something i used to do with single cam engines.run out of daylight today so guna finish it in the morning,only got wiring loom to put back on.guna run it without plugs in to prime the oil up to the tensioner.had to put another head on as the chain jumped and did all the inlet valves/guides,i think the tensioner broke or stopped working

Matt

Administrator
There's a lot of talk on the forum about the old style tensioner failing a lot on these cars
The old tensioner was junk! It says something when Vauxhall have actually revised the timing chain kit about 30 times since the engine was released. Makes you wonder how many engines have been written off until they finally got it right??

IDI AMIN

The old tensioner was junk! It says something when Vauxhall have actually revised the timing chain kit about 30 times since the engine was released. Makes you wonder how many engines have been written off until they finally got it right??
I would never have known if it were not for this website

gary

i dont no the history of the car but i got it at 100000 and its now done around 114000,might of had a chain on already.i didnt put a vauxhall kit on it i fitted an fai kit

gary

thanks for that there is a lot of talk on here about using vauxhall parts,ive never had apronlem with fai parts.used loads over the years
head gaskets and head bolts