Blank Dash Panel

HarleyPete

Hi all,

The evening before last I had been in and out of the car a few times running around. Got into the car and turned ignition on to be confronted with the warning lights that indicate a door/the boot is open. At that point the wife also mentioned that nothing else was working (I hadn't noticed as was too focused on the warning lights). Nothing I tried would sort it, switched off and re-started (at this point the engine management light started working correctly), still nothing, even tried the dash panel instrument lights dimmer to see if that was the issue. Anyway, drove to where I had to go and then jumped on my phone to investigate the net. After some reading which included frightening references to having a shot CIM, loose connections in wiring looms or loose plug on ABS pump, alternator on the way out, I was starting to panic. Well the final page I read had a mention of pressing the trip reset and, voila, the whole dash sprung back into life as soon as I touched it. I have no idea what it would have been and why that would have sorted it.

Anyone have any idea as to why this would happen and if there is an underlying cause as to it happening so I can be prepared.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Pete

KevinH

At least resetting the trip odometer brought the dash back to life. (y)
I have to admit Pete, I don't know why that would have had any influence or indeed what the underlying cause might be (there is a possibility it will never happen again, then again there is Sod's law). I can only suggest having a thorough search on the Vectra-C forum, but no doubt you have already done this and more.
If I can be of any help, let me know.

HarleyPete

Cheers KevinH I will indeed let you know if there's anything you can do. The strange thing is that I cannot put my finger on what could have caused it (i.e. ignition on and off too quick, short journey causing battery not to be charged back up etc.). Your right when you say I did have a good look around the web, which is why I was lucky to find the trip reset fix. If I come across any more info I will certainly make the forum aware as it may just help someone else not have to panic that they're dash has died. I'm hoping that, as you say, it's a bit of Sod's law coming into play and that it won't happen again.

Dave Gilbert

That would be the first sign of either the clock plug working loose common on vectra/signum or the cim is on its way out

HarleyPete

I hope it's not the CIM as that's an expensive repair I believe isn't it? It's been fine since then, no issues whatsoever.