Bilstein B4 Rear

01VECCYSRI

Ok i'm having trouble getting hold of a set of rear Bilstein B4's for 01 Veccy 2.2 SRI Hatch. Courtenay Sport dont have any in stock and could take over a week, all the ones on eekbay look confusing as to whether its the front or rear, saying rear but showing front or showing rear and saying front, or showing ones with a bolt eye both ends, aaagh, using generic pics too, euro only have sachs. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a set that i'm not gonna have to send back as wrong when I get em please. Am I right in thinking mine would be the ones with one bolt eye at the bottom and the piston rod protruding in which to fit my original rubbers etc. Excuse my ignorance, weather hasn't been great here to pull off the wheel and the shock, and i'm having to run the car so I dont wanna be waiting too long for delivery and putting stress on the spring while the damper is shot. Cheers :)

01VECCYSRI

B4's arrived yesterday, have to say that was a quick delivery , looks like a good day today to fit em, picked up a good set of spring compressors.
Maybe I'll take some pics as I couldn't find any at all on the net for changing the Veccy B 2.2 SRI rear shocks. Will get back later. (y)

01VECCYSRI

Both sides are done Matt, just washed up and gonna take it out for a ride see how it feels, not quite convinced yet looking at it one side is sitting higher than the other, will see what a road test brings hopefully they;ll settle down. One more thing i'm concerned about is the spring seats. The B4's are wider than the originals so the old seats wont fit, yet the springs sat nicely on the B4's. But not sure if the rim on the leg is a seat or just a stop for one. Now its back together though I have a bad feeling I may need to get spring seats that hold the springs better..? I got plenty of pics of the job to put up. Bottom bolts were a pain to get off lol.

01VECCYSRI

Ok ride height seems to be settling down, but not fully convinced I don't have an overcompressed spring, will give it a while longer to settle.
No knocking or funny noises so I'll presume the spring is sat fine on the B4 rim. If anyone has fitted a spring seat over one of these with better results please pipe in. Here's some pics of the job. I want to try to put guide notes with them but not sure if there's an option.
IMAG0126.jpg
Wheel off
IMAG0137.jpg
Location of wheel arch bolts, you'll need a hex bit set. There are 3 bolts..
IMAG0138.jpg
IMAG0140.jpg
..and two plastic studs. Knock middle out with a small screwdiver and they'll come out
IMAG0190.jpg
Four bolts to remove, I used 5/8 socket and spanner. Also one 21mm bottom bolt I forgot to take pic.
IMAG0196.jpg
Ready to dismantle, make sure you got spring compressors on or you could lose a limb or worse.
IMAG0200.jpg
6/8 spanner on top nut, use small ratchet or similar to hold piston .
IMAG0201.jpg
Release casing and remove components, take not of orientation.
IMAG0211.jpg
Then slide spring off damper.
IMAG0212.jpg
Remove old spring seat.
IMAG0213.jpg
Slide spring over new Bilstein B4 and replace rubber components. Notice compressors still on.
IMAG0214.jpg
Replace casing and top mount and new nut then release compressors evenly.
IMAG0215.jpg
Bolt back on car. Notice lower fitting is different shape but still bolts up.
IMAG0216.jpg
IMAG0217.jpg
Hope this helps anyone looking to renew rear shocks and/or springs.

Attachments

• IMAG0139.jpg
    IMAG0139.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 212

01VECCYSRI

Looks like a new set of springs next, the rear end is still uneven and weak on the rear offside. Oh well, i'm sure it'll be easier to do second time around. Should've measured springs while I was at it.

01VECCYSRI

Probably Eibach, heard a lot about them, I'm not sure which ones yet, I dont wanna lower it too much as I carry a bit of gear when I'm gigging and dont want it sat on it's arse when loaded but at the same time I dont want it looking like a 4x4. I like to see a little air between tyre and rim maybe an inch. So if you have any advice it would be grateful thanks Matt. You can see on some of my pics what the ride height was at originally.
Cheers.

01VECCYSRI

Yeah I can see that looks more like it, might do the trick, what size wheels are those? Arches dont look as tight as mine

01VECCYSRI

Ok cheers Matt, those 17's on mine where on it when I got it, there's not much room where the arches meet the sill, when it bottomed out this is where it caught the tyre

Matt

Administrator
Yeah, the arches on the C are quite a bit bigger, given then can run 19"s per the optional extra snowflake wheels.