Balance chain ... not timing chain?

jamieb

All,
Any advice on the following query would be great.
Went to replace the timing and balance chains. With the cam shaft cover off, the timing chain seemed very tight to the sprockets. As per a previous post, I counted 14 links between the sprockets. Turned the crank shaft through 90 degrees several times to see if I could find the slack in the timing chain. No slack evident. Question is - can the balance chain be the source of the problem but the timing chain ok? I had just assumed that the opposite would be true and the timing chain is the source of the noise. Has anyone else found the balance chain to be the issue and not the timing chain? I have not as yet removed the side cover to have a look at the balance chain.
Cheers.

Dave Gilbert

I had a balance chain issue. N i hear the balance chain causes more greaf on the z20net engine( i dont know why as there the same as ours)

A vid may help

HarleyPete

My balance chain was shot when evocarlos changed both chains for me (it was contacting the casing) but the timing one was not bad. Mine made a very slight noise to my ears but Carl picked up on it straight away.

jamieb

Thanks for the responses guys. I should have taken a vid before taking things to bits. Nevermind. I will post a vid once I get it back together. Broke a cam shaft cover bolt and it took an age to get the bit out of the cylinder head ... just waiting on new bolts for the moment.

ZippyZafira

i have had to replace 4 balance chains just this month that had failed and the chain still ok..
a good indication is the car will generally buzzzzzzz like crazy when its failed.
if you get a rattle or a tinging sound from that area when its cold stop driving and pull it down as you may have a bolt bouncing around.

jamieb

Dave, Zippy: I guess it is :( but knowing 100% that the balance chain tensioner is the problem is great. Thanks for your help.

Need to decide on a way forward now ... and if I can manage it. The crank pulley bolt is as tight as a tight thing gets ...

ZippyZafira

What ever you do don't drive that car around or you won't have it long. That irregular tapping sound is a bolt or part of the tensioner bouncing around. It will eventually get caught in the chain and then snap. ... then you will be up for expensive repairs

ZippyZafira

The crank pully is not that hard to get off. A breaker bar with a 21mm socket will do the job easy. I use a spanner to lock the pully.
20150905_095353.jpg

Rasmus Due

This was mine(fai 3000miles old)

Fai and matt sorted it out for me vwry quickly n will very little trouble(i had to fit it myself)

Hi all

I'm new to this forum. I must say that the forum looks nice with a lot of useful information from helpful people.

My 2004 Vectra 2.2 Direct Z22YH has the same tinging noise as in Dave Gilberts video but only when it is cold. I was planning on changing both the timing & balance chain, but now I'm in doubt. Would a new balance tensioner do the trick?

Dave - Did you replace the chains or just the balance tensioner?

Rasmus Due
Denmark

HarleyPete

I wouldn't look to changing just the tensioners as to change the balance chain one you have to dismantle it to the point that changing the chains would be the easiest option.

Rasmus Due

or have someone fit new chains for you :)
Hi evocalos
I wouldn't mind having someone changing the chains for me, but I don't mind working on the car my self. Anyway I live in Denmark.

I can see that you have changed chains like a million times, where do you buy the parts?
Got at quote for the parts at an Opel garage in Denmark: £613 o_O