Balance chain alignment

Burnzi

When timing up the engine is it impossible to get the balance chain to line up with the cam chain or do i just keep turning.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
if you set the engine to TDC before removing the main chain the balancer chain will be in the appropriate place
the balancer chain has its own timing marks
the main chain has its own marks
the 2 chains are linked from the keyway on the crank

never turn the crank without the main chain fitted

WP_001186 (Medium).jpg

Burnzi

Aye but when i line the cam chain up with its marks i can never seem to get the balance chain to line up or would it be easier to line cam chain up remove chains and reposition balance chain to correct marks p.s engine feels shakey on tickover so balance chain may never line up if its out

Burnzi

Ill have to get a pic tomorrow now when the cam chain is lined up with the 3 marks and cylinder 1 is at tdc the balance chain marks are way off their marks this is before i have removed any of the chains i just cant seem to get the balance chain to line up im just gonna remove the chains and refit them in the correct position i think the shakeyness on tickover could be the balance chain not timed up properly

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
dont look at trying to make the colored links line up that will take for ever
the rear balancer sprocket mark should face down the front balancer sprocker mark should face up and the mark on the bottom stroke (balancer sprocket) should be down
my picture above shows these marks

the colored links only provide a reference point when fitting the chains after removing them or replacing them once the engine has turned it will take a few 1000 turns to get them all to line back up

if the timing is out on the balancer chain by a few links then it would make the engine wobble some it would also do this if they were in the right place but the main chain was out 2links on the bottom sprocket

Burnzi

Cheers evocarlos i will remove and fit them in the correct position if they need it and see if that sorts the wobble out on tickover

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Cheers evocarlos i will remove and fit them in the correct position if they need it and see if that sorts the wobble out on tickover
no worrys :)
just be sure the engine is at tdc before removing the chains
also another way to be 100% sure the engine is in the right position for chain removal/refitting is to look at the cam lobes over the #4 cylinder
WP_001206 (Medium).jpg

the key way on the crank should be facing up inline with the spark plugs
WP_000134.jpg

once you have this alignment the full chain kits can be removed and its setup ready to fit the chains with the colored links to the marks on the sprokets
if your balancer sprokets are dirty as in the above picture and the marks are not easy visible use some petrol on a rag to wipe them clean for easy location

the balancer chain tensioner will need to be reset to do this you will need a straightened out paper clip
to reset it turn the piston 180* and push all the way in (it has a ratchet and will only go back in at the 180* position)
once its all the way back in while holding it in twist it back 180* and slide the paper clip in the small hole on the body and in to the hole on the piston this will hood it shut while you fit the balancer chain
once the chain is fitted and you're happy with the marks put the paper clip out :)
you can see the pin in my original picture

sorry i was a bit slow to respond yesterday i currently have man flu and i could not comprehend what was being said
ive had a good nights sleep and this is be better response lol

Last edited:
if you set the engine to TDC before removing the main chain the balancer chain will be in the appropriate place
the balancer chain has its own timing marks
the main chain has its own marks
the 2 chains are linked from the keyway on the crank

never turn the crank without the main chain fitted

View attachment 49490

Is that a marker on the block casing where the crank mark should face 6 o'clock yes?