Astra G 2.2 sri to z20net conversion project

si.c1978

hi after reading up on posts on here without spending mega bucks seems the easiest way is to get an engine swap...seems a shame with the work that has gone into her but a few mainainance costs are about to be run up(possible piston ring problem or valve stems) cryb..
i have been offered a z20net engine and im quite sorely tempted does anyone have a list of what would be required to do the conversion?
the only thing i dont have is the gearbox to go with it, stupid question but are they interchangable?

Huskyman

Re: whats needed to fit a z20net?

You will need the ECU, engine with the complete loom, the intercooler, the oil cooler, a different exhaust and maybe the fuel pump, different fuel lines for the engine compartment, the air box.
Dont forget to put some better stoppers, a 308mm kit is the best way to go, and you may need to change the front springs with the different axle weight, and it may be that you will have to change the dials too.

si.c1978

ok that doesnt sound too hectic. :mrgreen:
its a complete engine with loom & ecu, i may be able to get him to throw a few other bits n bobs in too,
so am i right in thinking because its the same main block it'll go straight on the same engine mounts? notsure.gif
can i put my gear box on it or do i need to source one?
i have now given him a deposit i pick it up next weekend.

Huskyman

I think you will neeed the mounts as well. The turbo coupe uses the F23, so I think you'll be ok there.

si.c1978

is there anything i will need to do regarding the imobiliser and plumbing the wiring loom into the remaining car electrics?

slindborg

you will more than likely need the transponder ring from near the ign barrel and also the matching key to go with it (or atleast the transponder chip from his key.

exmantaa

You now have a 2,2 I assume?
The Z20NET is the low pressure (170ps?) engine. There are better options for an engine swap project... :think:

si.c1978

yeah yours is one of the threads i read up on, is it an easy engine to get re-mapped/ calibrated?
my main payment goes through on friday, hopefully arriving next week
it'll be hanging around for a little while, while i collect parts, so i can port and polish everything before sticking it in! (y)

we already have several intercoolers hanging about from my mates 200sx with skyline engine n silvia front end build, were gonna try and graft on,
can you recommend a air charge cooler and maybe a fuel pump so i know where to start? notsure.gif

what size does the exhaust need to be? (or am i best off trying to get a standard setup off ebay just so getting it in and working, best?) notsure.gif

si.c1978

ooh hang on a minute didn't i have a chat with you about the bsr setup mark? (i was gutted that it wasn't for n/a cars)
what costs are involved in that/ is it easy for a leyman with some skilled help to use?

si.c1978

hi exmantaa, the reason i chose the z20net is because it is similar to the z22se, so other than the turbo i already know my way around the block, she'll plop in with my existing gear box on similar mounts, the engine is the correct way around(inlet to front) and the electrics should swap over nicely, its more about being hassle free (although not my mates 1st engine swap, it is mine) and i kindo need my car, coz yer a little isolated down here with no car!
also it was a nice price i figure once you start mapping/cams/p&p ing everything the bhp wont be such a problem, (y)
thats not saying i won't try a trickier swap at a later date, my dreams are filled with z20leh's (but they cost far too much) (n)

Mark Dj

Former Staff

Yes they are very easy to tune, just plug and play. Mine cost nearly £600 for stage one with the tuning box. It's well worth it :). My new exhaust is 2.5" all the way through, it does not need to be any bigger than that, it works great. I would probably stick with a K&N pannel filter, they are good enough :)

si.c1978

excellent (y) ill probably be giving you a shout for some tips when ive got it in!
well looking forward to this now, may not get to it till xmass ive ran out of holiday!
im probably going to rob all my air intake stuff from me old engine (pier cross viper filter n dblas flow master wide inlet)
what sort of bhp are you chucking out?

Mark Dj

Former Staff

It's a great engine, chain driven like the 2.2, better Turbo than the Z20let and Vxr engine as it's got a Garrett Turbo standard :)

exmantaa

The Z20NET is indeed a good swap for a 2,2 with the same mounting points etc.
(I still have a US 2.0 LSJ Engine waiting for a swap project...)
What HP have the Z20NET been tuned to before the engine internals needs upgrading or the turbo swapped?

(y)

si.c1978

im not sure, notsure.gif ive heard 220bhp is possible just from the re-map, but i could be wrong.
i think the fuel injectors would maybe be the biggest problem after that, tbh i dont know notsure.gif
if anyone knows please gizza shout as i do intend to do cams inlets tb's (maybe larger turbo) etc as well. (y)

winstar

exmantaa said:
The Z20NET is indeed a good swap for a 2,2 with the same mounting points etc.
(I still have a US 2.0 LSJ Engine waiting for a swap project...)
What HP have the Z20NET been tuned to before the engine internals needs upgrading or the turbo swapped?

(y)

Isn't the Z20NET essentially a SAAB b207 but with a Direct injection head? therefore bottom end should be good for 300 bhp

The turbo will need to be changed I suspect, the SAAB 9-3 Aero runs a MHI TD04 thatt should be a direct swap