astra coupe with dead engine

robo22sri

over on AON there is a guy selling a y reg astra coupe 2.2
think its a se2 has the leather seats etc
has had new tyres and brakes
qoute him in the ad-
"original problem was the coil pack about 2 weeks ago, had it changed then got the chain done a few days later on recommendation(thinking i was looking after it), since the chain was changed cam shaft sensor has been a fault (ODB reader, mine and the garages), garage fixed it?!?!?!?!? i got it back christmas eve and drove straight to the inlaws! The EM light is off, pikey git probably bodged that!

VX said that cam shaft sensor is still faulty and they have shown me a huge crack in the head, in the well of the right hand plug, which is full of coolant!

To be honest i'm in the middle of buying my first house and i could do without a car that makes lancia beta's seem like a better prospect!

I love this car and spent months finding the right one, i'd keep her if i could afford a new lump!"

has put it up for £1000 ono
pm me if you want details

BURT150

Thats a bargain for someone looking for a project, If i had the money and space that would be a nice little earner.

Shame they dont have a cam sensor tho! Vx must be geniuses if they sorted that problem out :LOL:

robo22sri

aimg222.imageshack.us_img222_2120_img1017w.jpg

aimg407.imageshack.us_img407_5571_img1016e.jpg

The above mentioned Coupe is mine!!!

I've had a quote of 1430 + vat from http://www.reconditioned-engines.co.uk to strip down and rebuild and refit my engine.

Considering what i've had done with it, is it worth this, the tensioner was sheered off (has been heli-coiled) and i'll need to replace the head as it has a crack in it.
VX report says timing is out, told me there was a sensor fault, didnt put it on the report though!!!! :?: (1st garage reported cam sensor - and allegedly fixed it, the bulb has strangley blown in the EM light since i got it back?!?!)

Car was running fine til coil pack went..... i got the the chain done as a precaution at the same time, the garaged then showed me the broken up guides and sheered off tensioner.

What internal damaged could have been caused by tensioner being sheered off!?!?

Wish i'd seen the thread on fitting a chain! would have had a go myself!

MikeS

Former Staff
i seen them go for £1400 earlier this summer and they were runners :)

only camshaft sensor fault on z22se is fake

p0340

it means coil pack is fudged or lack of compression as the ecu uses the coil pack for timing

BURT150

I think 1430+vat is a bit steep! but then its the hours that go into it whereas if you wanted to do it yourself you could half that. another head would be ruffly 2- 400 quid pluss all you bits and bobs call it 6-700 and you'd have the car you wanted in the firstplace pluss you can get you hands dirty :D

If you wanted to do it yourself get your hands on a haynes manual and strip it down to see what you up against.

Thats a bit wrong for the eml light to be blown too but then it would be a case of proving theyve tinkered with it.

If your bottom end is ok it wont be a bad job (y)

BURT150

If heli coils are done right there just as good so i wouldnt worry. Most of the guide bolts and balancer tentioner bolts are only 8 or 10 foot pounds so there not murdered up.

MikeS

Former Staff
cheaper to get another engine

the head is cracked so need replacing, personally i think that is where your getting compression problems hence why it is flagging up cam sensor fault

cheers wont bother then!!! on the look out for a decent engine now! not getting mine rebuilt, price would be around 2200 after getting a head and bits.

ok guys, had enough messing around trying to find a decent engine, the car is up for sale

looking for £1000

The car is about 10 mile north of J25 M25 (just off A10)

mikeymac186

for that sorta price range u might be better lokin to see if " webuyanycar.com" will take it as a non runner, sorry to hear bout ur heartache tho