astra coupe se2 2.2 auto box

d4n1

hi everyone. i've got a astra coupe se2 2.2 automatic. every time i put it in reverse the tc light comes on and 3rd gear light flashes. put it in drive and it sticks in 3rd gear. turn the car off and on again. put it in drive and it drives fine, kick down cuts in and sport mode works. any ideas anyone?.

d4n1

hi dave. i've checked the fluid, it's at the right level but is black so i'll change that first, see if theres any change. thanks

Dave Gilbert

Might be worth changing it a few times.

get some cheap stuff. Run round for agood few miles n then drop it again n put some better stuff in.

Use it as a flush

Dave Gilbert

I dont, mines manual but iv heard some good results from doing this with vauxhalls

i have done it in a hiluxs many years ago.

Auto trans fluid should be changed regularly like engine oil but it gets over looked like gearbox oil.

HarleyPete

Does the Z22SE auto use the same setup as the YH in that the gearbox cooler is on the side of the rad? I'm sure I've heard that the YH can suffer with coolant getting into the auto gearbox oil due to corrosion between the rad and the cooler. I would have thought by the sound of it that yours is fine but it's something to keep and eye on, I believe that there's an additive added to the coolant to help stop this. Hopefully changing your auto oil a couple of times or so will sort the problem out.

KevinH

HarleyPete, Yes it's similar on the Z22SE, the automatic transmission fluid cooler is an integral part of the radiator assembly. If the cooler is damaged the complete radiator assembly should be renewed.