Astra 2.2sri running problems (not EGR or throttle body)

Jaycey001

Hello
I am looking for some help and advice on a Astra 2.2 SRI (2002) full hist and 60k on clock.
Symptoms are:

Idle:
The car idles perfectly from cold start, but on wide open throttle it stutters on pick up then smooths out to red line. Feathering throttle is much better.
Warm idle sometimes a very slight lumpiness, but only noticeable because cool idle is so smooth.

Driving:
When cool it will take wide open throttle in 1st 2nd 3rd gear to redline. But when warm it accelerates to 5000 rpm (3rd gear) then no more acceleration atall. EML flashes, no code.
EML goes off when you cruise again. When warm, in 3rd if you feed throttle from 50 it seems to
behave much better, and will move through to redline sometimes. No EML activity.

The EGR has been blanked and the throttle body cleaned with some improvement when engine cold but symptoms return when it's warm.

Any Ideas on what to try next, I spoke to a garage and they said to replace ECU but that seems quite a major thing to replace to see if it works...

Any advice would beappreciated

cheers
J

Jaycey001

No EML codes are stored, kept the light flashing for over a minute by driving at 5000rpm in 3rd but still wouldn't store a code.

It's just gone through an MOT so don't suspect the cat, is it a possibility even though it passed the smoke test?

I'm thinking along lines of coil or fuel pump, are these common in this Astra?
Thanks
J

vocky

Staff
the coilpack usually does not throw up a code, so might be an idea to borrow a coilpack if you can. Try to avoid the cheap pattern coilpacks as they can cause running issues.