astra 2.2 overfueling

174ben

hi, im new here from australia. been reading through this forum and have fixed many issues with my z22se thanks to you guys. unfortunately it keeps over fuelling and making plugs and lambda sensor foul up. any ideas would be appreciated

vocky

Staff
the mixture lambda sensor (nearest the exhaust manifold), coolant temp sensor and the air intake temperature sensor all control the fuelling, so try swapping those

positive

Do some diagnostics at least for the temperature sensors. A cheap ODBII adapter is suitable for that, but you can do far better analysis with an OP-COM. Replacing parts is pointless without a direct feedback about the effect of the change.
Anyway, are you sure about over fuelling? Build-ups can be caused by many other factors either.

174ben

im no good with diagnostics, may have to go to mechanic for that.... it blows black smoke under hard acceleration, idles a bit rough and smells very fuelly

positive

Validating the temp sensor values is easier than you think. You only need a bluetooth/wifi OBDII adapter and a mobile app. OP-COM logging is also not so difficult. But if you want to be sure go to a mechanic.
The problem can be mechanical either (e.g. leaking injector).

patricks

im no good with diagnostics, may have to go to mechanic for that.... it blows black smoke under hard acceleration, idles a bit rough and smells very fuelly

Also its likely that the rings are fouled with carbon deposits because of the over fueling and this would be compounding the problem. Once u have sorted the issue give the engine a good internal clean. Carby cleaner down the spark plug hole let it sit overnight and then drain the oil. Follow that up with an engine flush using cheap new mineral oil and then drain the oil again and then put in good quality synthetic oil. This should clean the engine up considerably.

Opcom is cheap i paid mine only 40 AUD delivered - its a clone but it works. Not hard to use.

174ben

Also its likely that the rings are fouled with carbon deposits because of the over fueling and this would be compounding the problem. Once u have sorted the issue give the engine a good internal clean. Carby cleaner down the spark plug hole let it sit overnight and then drain the oil. Follow that up with an engine flush using cheap new mineral oil and then drain the oil again and then put in good quality synthetic oil. This should clean the engine up considerably.

Opcom is cheap i paid mine only 40 AUD delivered - its a clone but it works. Not hard to use.
will do thankyou

174ben

found a local astra wrecker.... asked for a coolant temp sensor and fuel pressure regulator, he was dismantling a zafira as I spoke to him and I ended up with coolant sensor and complete fuel rail with injectors cheap, as he couldn't be bothered pulling them apart. put the whole lot on ran like a dream!

174ben

new problem though.... abs and t/c light on and speedo not working. I pulled on wire harness pretty good while fitting other parts. thanks to this site traced it back to the large electrical plug near the abs assembly. when i move it by hand i can make the lights go out and speedo works. took it off cleaned it up but its still intermittent.