Are my cams in sync

patricks

Hi just doing my chains i think my exhaust cam is slightly too far clockwise - what do u guys think and do i just move back a little no chain on yet...

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Photo2972.jpg
    Photo2972.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 229

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
you dont need to worry about alignment as long as you put the engine to tdc before taking the chain off the sprockets are key'd and the chain has colored links once you fit them and put the color links in the right place the alignment will be fine cam lobes 10 and 2 over piston #4 (inlet 10 o'clockexhaust 2 o'clock).

patricks

vocky can i adjust them by rotating clockwise or anticlockwise slightly - id want them perfect which way do i need to rotate each cam?

vocky

Staff
don't worry about moving them slightly, when you fit the chain you can adjust them then.

I fit the chain to the cam sprockets with cable ties at the correct markings and then slip the chain into the engine, next add the inlet cam sprocket bolt and finger tighten it, add the inlet side chain guide (black) and then move the crankshaft until the crank mark is aligned with the chain marking, then add the exhaust side guide (metal), then fit the exhaust cam and adjust the cam with a spanner to align the sprocket, then finger tighten the bolt. Add the tensioner and then torque the cam sprocket bolts.

patricks

I felt like i did it the hardest way possible lol u live u learn.......h its 3am almost done lol. Putting engine pulley back on dont want to damage woodruff key on crank - my mark was a hair before 12 ocklock but everything lined up nice - cant tell if the pulley is hitting woodruff key or not and bolt isnt threading.....

patricks

don't worry about moving them slightly, when you fit the chain you can adjust them then.

I fit the chain to the cam sprockets with cable ties at the correct markings and then slip the chain into the engine, next add the inlet cam sprocket bolt and finger tighten it, add the inlet side chain guide (black) and then move the crankshaft until the crank mark is aligned with the chain marking, then add the exhaust side guide (metal), then fit the exhaust cam and adjust the cam with a spanner to align the sprocket, then finger tighten the bolt. Add the tensioner and then torque the cam sprocket bolts.

I havent tried it your way but i think i agree with that methodology Vocky - as you don't have to hold the link on the crank because gravity takes care of it. Doing exhaust sprocket first means the chain kinks at several points and throws more variables into the mix............

vocky

Staff
the crank pulley has two stages to fit, the first is to align the oil pump, the next is to align the woodruff key, just keep turning the sprocket until they engage.

The crank pulley should be tight against the cover, if you cannot get the woodruff key to align - remove the crank pulley and using a small file modify the woodruff key slot by filing the very end into a ramp effect. Just a couple of mm works wonders, this allows the woodruff key to go into the slot very easily.

Having fitted a few chain kits you do learn some top tips, especially the above method of aligning the chains (y)

Last edited:

patricks

Didnt even know thats where the oil pump was - had look down and i could see the flat edges the line up with the pulley on the inside Got it in!!!!:kiss: No im not of that inclination but that's how i feel u just saved me an hour trying to figure it out:)

patricks

Ok i have everything all together just a bit apprehensive about starting it - no kinks in the chain visible when cranking manually by hand but sometimes during the rotation of the crank the pulley spins really easily and by itself and at other times during the rotation of crank it stiffens up and is harder to turn - is this normal? No noises or clunking evident during the rotation tho......

patricks

Damn no start! She cranks over smoothly but doesnt fire up. Pics of all timing marks attached and position of cam lobes on number 4. What have i overlooked?? I did notice when i cranked engine manually by pulley it rotated anti clockwise about a quarter of a turn at one point???

Attachments

• inlet.jpg
    inlet.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 226
  • exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 255
  • crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 230
  • cams.jpg
    cams.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 227

patricks

i hooked it up but maybe i did it wrong - on the end of the earth strap that goes to above thermostat there was another electronic component thats on the same bolt - does it matter what order it goes on the bolt?

vocky

Staff
your chain timing photos all look fine.

Might be worth rechecking them, however the chain markings will have moved. So get the engine to TDC and confirm the cam lobes on cylinder four point towards each other like in your photo. Sort of 2 'O' clock and 10 'O' clock

patricks

vocky, ZippyZafira No luck there. Here are pics after taking the cam cover off. The pic of the crank shows that its a little anticlockwise but that was its position when i timed everything up. So valve timing at TDC appears Ok and i checked that piston 4 was at the top of its travel thru spark plug hole.

Some variables

1. Orientation of the earth strap on the head - does it matter if you put it on before or after the nuts because im sure ive done that wrong and dont remember exactly how it goes on. Can someone please post of a clear pic of earth strap on both ends of the head.........

2. Balance chain - i didnt change balance chain at all and made no attempt to line up its timing links when i put on the new cam chain

3. Spark plug 4 is now black (was brown before i tried to start it) does that mean no spark and its fouling?

4. Not sure if my battery is dead. I used jumper leads today that still didnt start the car. My battery has a viewing hole on top and inside the colour was green does that mean its still good? Car has not been used for 3 half weeks now with negative terminal off

Have checked all wires and connection and all appears OK. Anybody and ideas????

vocky

Staff
Orientation of the earth strap on the head - does it matter if you put it on before or after the nuts because im sure ive done that wrong and dont remember exactly how it goes on. Can someone please post of a clear pic of earth strap on both ends of the head.........

Does not matter, as long as it's 'earthed'

Spark plug 4 is now black (was brown before i tried to start it) does that mean no spark and its fouling?

Could be the coil pack, might be worth swapping the plus around

Not sure if my battery is dead. I used jumper leads today that still didnt start the car. My battery has a viewing hole on top and inside the colour was green does that mean its still good? Car has not been used for 3 half weeks now with negative terminal off

Sometimes the ECU can lose the immobiliser coding, does the EML flash on the dash when cranking the engine ?

patricks

Appreciate the info Vocky. Cleaned electrodes on spark plugs and coil pack. Swapped plugs. No flashing EML. Still no start...just cranking over.......would it be fair to say coil pack is the most logical next thing to check? No issues prior to doing chain swap.......