Any Cam Chain fixers near Chesham?

DeanMG

Hi all,

New member and first post...

I bought a Vectra B 2.2 on 81k miles last month without being aware of the timing chain issue and guess what...!
It hasn't snapped yet, but is rattling on start-up now (chain cover also leaking), and has the "old" tensioner fitted.
Just wondered if there's anyone in the Chesham (Bucks) area able to fix one of these without breaking my (minuscule) bank. Any advice on whether to buy a full kit or just chain, tensioner etc. would also be welcome.

Thanks,
Dean.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
im free all this week and the weekend and next fri/sat/sun
if you can get the car to me and bring the chains and oil/filter i can do it :)
my fee is smaller than you think :)

DeanMG

im free all this week and the weekend and next fri/sat/sun
if you can get the car to me and bring the chains and oil/filter i can do it :)
my fee is smaller than you think :)

Thanks, but the timing cover is leaking oil so can't drive it that far... Appreciate the offer though.

DeanMG

I got a local mechanic to have a look at it (last time I worked on a car they had carbs etc!) and he said it looked like the timing chain cover itself...
I have now sourced a GM timing chain kit, and don't want to pay "garage supplied parts" prices, can you tell me what else I will need?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
I got a local mechanic to have a look at it (last time I worked on a car they had carbs etc!) and he said it looked like the timing chain cover itself...
I have now sourced a GM timing chain kit, and don't want to pay "garage supplied parts" prices, can you tell me what else I will need?
5l or oil and a new oil filter
a FAI balancer chain
if the cover is cracked you would need to source a replacement it may also be a good idea to get a new crank seal

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
vx want the best part of £700 for supply and fit
a dit fitting would just be the cost of the chains and oil
you could half the cost of a garage fitting cost with getting someone like me to do it
but the traveling is the problem

milo

vx want the best part of £700 for supply and fit
a dit fitting would just be the cost of the chains and oil
you could half the cost of a garage fitting cost with getting someone like me to do it
but the traveling is the problem

Yep I traveled all the way form Newcastle and even when u added in my fuel costs, I stilled saved £200+ compared to the cheapest quote from stealers

DeanMG

I'd love to take it to you, but with the oil leak and chain already rattling daren't risk it... The cost reference was due to having just paid £500 on brakes, oil' filter etc. Oh well...

5M1THY

Your only ten minutes away from me but I don't think I can do chains I reckon I'll do mine next time but if it goes wrong it's my own fault.
its a shame you can't get it to Carl he knows the engine like the back of his hand.