antifreeze

Baz

how much water and how much anti freeze i bought 2litres of antifreeze from vauxhall but need to know how much water (for the engine coolant) :D

Matt

Administrator
Does it not tell you on the bottle Baz?

I need to change mine at some point in the next couple of weeks, is it a big job to do?

Baz

nah mate on the 2.2 i noticed a wee red plug. with a flat headed screwdriver unscrew it an that realeses it simple lol but not sure on quantity ive been told 2ls of antifreeze but not on how much water

Matt

Administrator
Sweet, I've have a scoot round the engine bay tomorrow and see if I can see anything. If not, I'll nip to the local library (halfords) and have a read through the Haynes manual :LOL:

Daz

Former Staff
theres a we plug on the rear of the engine that will relaese all the water out the block too..

Matt

Administrator
Yeah, and haynes manual would be useful. I've still got the ones from my previous 2 cars, but I never bought one for the astra, and I've had the astra the longest out of the 3.

richard

hi just looked in the haynes manual the cooling system holds for a astra 2.2 engine 6.8 litres without air con or 7.1 litres with air con approximate. if you use antifreeze at 50% that will give you protection down to -37 or if you use it at 55%that will give protection down to -45 hope this helps

Matt

Administrator
So thats 3.55 litres of anti-freeze and 3.55 litres of water for 50%, and 3.9 litres of anti-freeze and 3.2 litres of water for 55%

Baz

richard said:
hi just looked in the haynes manual the cooling system holds for a astra 2.2 engine 6.8 litres without air con or 7.1 litres with air con approximate. if you use antifreeze at 50% that will give you protection down to -37 or if you use it at 55%that will give protection down to -45 hope this helps

nice one mate ill give that a go

2.2berfurno

J635000 Cooling System, Charge and Bleed (Z 22 SE)

Caution

Only use Anti-freeze 19 40 650 / 09 194 431 and ensure a concentration of 50% water and 50% anti-freeze. The purpose of anti-freeze is not only to protect the entire cooling system against freezing but also to protect all coolant-affected parts against corrosion and lime deposit. For this reason, even in tropical regions, anti-freeze must be used.

The water quality also plays an important role in addition to the mix ratio. Water of drinkable quality usually meets these requirements. The quality of purified sea water is inadequate!

Damage may also be caused to the engine if unauthorised anti-freeze agent is used!

If radiator, cylinder head or cylinder head seal have been replaced the old coolant must not be re-used.

1. Open bonnet

2. Charge coolant

Up to engine vent line at coolant compensation tank
3. Allow engine to run warm

Until thermostat opens (approx. 82 °C coolant temperature)
4. Check coolant level

Allow engine to cool – if necessary, charge coolant to "KALT/COLD" mark
Note: Cooling system bleeds automatically during engine warm-up phase
5. Close bonnet

2.2berfurno

Cooling system – Z 22 SE

Engine
Z 22 SE

Coolant filling quantity1)

MT without AC
I

MT with AC
l

AT without AC
l

AT with AC
l

Coolant pump

Type
Centrifugal pump

Delivery rate2)
l / min

rpm

Thermostat

Type
bypass

Start of opening
°C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Only use 09 194 431 / 19 40 650 anti-freeze and ensure a concentration of 50% (min. 3 l).
2) At a coolant temperature of 20 °C