Air con probs

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Mark2.2 said:
Turning the air con on makes the car work a bit harder so the idle will change as it' using more power to run it. :)

Well, have this then. Using your air-con loses you 10 BHP and increases your fuel consumption. So, if you decide to have a blast against a 1 litre Paxo and you lose, it could be because you've got your air-con switched on or you've ran out of petrol!!

rofl.. what.. rofl..

JohnnyN

Former Staff
UPDATE:

You're not going to believe this......The chap came out today and found a fracture in the cold return pipe that runs along side the rocker cover then round the back of the engine into a aluminium block then the pipe continues on down to the bulk head. The pipe was fractured at the entry point to the block. He carried out a localised repair at the fracture and also replaced an o-ring on the opposite side. He had it on test for 20 minutes and all was fine. It cost me £130 and off he went. I drove 2 miles home and on the way the cold air stopped flowing and I looked under the bonnet when I got home and found that the seal had blown and now i've got UV dye down the back of the engine bay. BORLLOCKS!!

Anyway, I gave him a call and he's now coming back next Monday and it looks like the whole pipe assembly will have to be replaced. I think the pipe is going to cost around about £170, then there's the labour of about 2 hrs to fit it. In all fairness, he did warn me that this could happen but it still bugs the crap out of me.

cryb..

goose

Those pipes are rubbish if i had a pound for everyone id changed id be loaded. Vauxhall decided to fit a bracket to stop it but guess wot they still break. Not heard of a conclusive fix.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Good news!!!

The bloke from Go Cool phoned me at 08:15am and said that he was concerned about the leak and asked if he could come out this morning to fix the problem. It turned out to be a pinched o-ring which he'd replaced yesterday. So, its all done and okay now.

thumbup

JohnnyN

Former Staff
More news:

It packed in again on Sunday morning. The repair to the fracture has given up. It was the cold return pipe so we half expected it to go tits up because the pipe contracts under the extreme cold, thus causing the repair to fail.

So, its a new pipe for definate. He's ordered it in for tomorrow (Wednesday) and is coming back to fit it next Monday. I hope that once this is done then that will be the end of it.

cry..

Andy

you not having much luck with it mate, hope once you get the new pipe fitted its the end of it.

mjc2.2

losing the will to live!!!! aircon was fixed several weeks ago! and hey guess wot now the weathers picking up a bit, its getting nice and warm in the old mota, MY F@@kING AIRCON HAS GONE AND BUMMED ITSELF AGAIN and that also is the cold return pipe, only saving grace is i can get the pipe, re-gas,including labour for £90. Whatever happend to opening windows when it's hot!! :evil:

JohnnyN

Former Staff
mjc2.2 said:
losing the will to live!!!! aircon was fixed several weeks ago! and hey guess wot now the weathers picking up a bit, its getting nice and warm in the old mota, MY F@@kING AIRCON HAS GONE AND BUMMED ITSELF AGAIN and that also is the cold return pipe, only saving grace is i can get the pipe, re-gas,including labour for £90. Whatever happend to opening windows when it's hot!! :evil:

I kow how you feel mate. That's a godd price you've got there. I'm paying £97 inc. VAT for the pipe and £70 labour but the re-gas is free.

what..