Access - Etc.

longpig

G'day from OZ, Considering how much work is done under the car to do the chains, what is the best way to get access. I don't have ramps. Will the regular jack work or impede me. Do I need axle stands or will it get in the way.
Considering I have to buy most of the tools and another jack (engine mount) I'm hoping not to waste too much money. May seem like a dumb question, but remember those "Oh bugger I can't get to it" moments.
Relying on bus and shame train, so hoping not to have to stop half way through and catch a bus to get something I need.

What gaskets will I need. Not sure of what comes with the kit. And Holden will NOT give out any info, won't even give me the part numbers.
Also, is the crank seal and bolt included in the kit or do I need to buy them seperately.

Also, how did you torque the crank and cam bolts. Did you have to attach a long pipe to the end of the torque wrench ?

Looking at the pictures, there seems to be a small hole next to the crank right where the purple link goes on the cog. I was thinking of making a small spring clip to fit in the hole and hold the colored link on the correct tooth while I install the guides. What do you think ?

Changed the oil and filter and started the car and it was purring like a kitten. Whoo Whoo !!
Turned it off and started it again. Oh bugga, rocks are back !!

Thank you to all the contributors. Finding this was like finding a gold mine.
2001 - Convertible . 78,000 KM.

Dave Gilbert

evocarlos

But your best option would be
2 axle stands
1 jack(lump of wood on top)

Female torx (for engine mount)
Slimmest 3/8 ratchet you can find for the belt tensioner.
male torxs for the airbox
A crack bar or air gun for the crank pulley and 21mm socket
Timing locking tool is recommended

if you get gm chain kits you get everything needed.
you dont need to replace the crank pulley bolt
but oil seal is a very good idea(not sure if it comes in a gm kit) i believe the part number is 55570337

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
im going to have to organize a holiday to OZ then get all the 2.2 holden astras in one place and do the chains lol

longpig

torx forgot the bloody torx. Thanks for that.

I remember the good old days. We'd listen to Bobo and Moo on the wireless
and pull a whole car apart with a 9/16th inch spanner.

longpig

Can anyone identify the original 2 tensioners prior to the Z22net one.
Which one was the original on the pre 2002 cars and which one came later and
was retro fitted to the early cars.

One had the rubber O-ring and grooves on the bolt.
One had no O-ring and no grooves on the bolt.

longpig

Great articles Harley. Thank you.
Holden in Australia still sells the old tensioner. b*****ds. ! They also refuse to acknowledge any field remedys.
I had to get my car on the road and so had no choice. If I get rattle in future will order from US and just replace tensioner.
I also found a video which I haven't watched yet. But looks like it could be of some use.