78k miles and high bite point?

Hi,

My 2002 Vectra B 2.2 16v has a high clutch bite point. It isn't slipping but seems close to the top. It has 78k miles and all old MOT's to back up mileage. Is it likely the clutch is near to the end with such low mileage? The clutch is hydraulic on this isn't it?

Matt

KevinH

Yes, the clutch is hydraulic and uses the same fluid reservoir for the brakes and clutch. It is also self-adjusting.

Usually as the the clutch plate friction material wears, the bite point will move towards the top of the pedal travel, i.e. if the clutch starts slipping the pedal doesn't travel up far enough for it to start biting.

Conversely if the slave cylinder was failing the bite point would usually move lower without much slippage unless it was leaking and contaminating the clutch whereby juddering might also occur.

Hope this might help :)

KevinH

Don't think it's ever been done. Could that lower the bite point if the fluid was crap? Would it entail bleeding the whole lot out through each caliper nipple?

Yes it would mean all the brake calipers and the hydraulic clutch system would require bleeding.
Ideally brake/clutch fluid should be renewed every 2 years because it is hygroscopic.

If you plan doing it yourself, then you can either use a one-way valve kit or a pressure-bleeding kit but the basic (two-man) method is to have an assistant depress the pedals at the appropriate times whilst the other person opens and closes the bleed screws. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that. How much do you think a garage would charge to bleed the brakes and clutch and replace with new brake fluid? My brakes have loads of pad left but arent particularly great come to think of it.
Matt

KevinH

Not really much idea - depends on location as to labour costs.

If I was to hazard a guess, around £40-£45 including brake fluid at a local garage.
Vx main dealers would charge more obviously. :)