6 Month Oil Change

Matt

Administrator
Well, I'm not going to bother this time! Car has only just covered 2k miles since it was last done, and it's running Fusch TItan Race 5/40 Esther Fully Syn. Can't justify another £60 when it's only covered 2k, and that oil should be more than upto the job of going for 12 months.

Matt

Administrator
I should hopefully be doing even less over the summer, as once my half marathon training is done, I can start cycling to work and back again.

Jamee

why such expensive oil matt, Daz swears by the normal stuff from his garage, he said it doesnt make a difference really.

Matt

Administrator
why such expensive oil matt, Daz swears by the normal stuff from his garage, he said it doesnt make a difference really.
It's highly recommended on the VXR site. It's a proper synthetic oil as well. I'm in two minds as to switching back to normal VX stuff, as I can get that dirt cheap now I have full trade club, and Amy's Corsa uses the same 5W30 stuff :confused:

Jamee

i personally think after yrs of being drummed in by Daz, oil is oil unless ur running super tuned 400bhp cars.

Matt

Administrator
Yeah. First oil change I had done on it I changed to Mobil1 0W40, and then 6 month after than moved onto the Fusch Titan 5W40, and stuck with that since. Reason I'm not doing a 6 month change this time around, is I've only just covered 2k miles since it was last done 6 months ago, and the oil is still golden.

Daz

Former Staff
Any of the 5w stuff is way to thin when its hot, as it passes past the seals on the turbo, hence people moaning about smoke etc.... i use 10/40 semi synthetic shell oil(as its free) and have never had an issue with it.. however if i had to buy the oil i wud get some millers 10w/60 triple ester oil..

Matt

Administrator
Mine has never smoked, but I'm glad I at least went back to the 5W from the 0W in the Mobil1.

I'm tempted by the Millers Nano Drive OpieOils listed in here the other week when I do get round to changing mine again.

Matt

Administrator
Any of the 5w stuff is way to thin when its hot, as it passes past the seals on the turbo, hence people moaning about smoke etc.... i use 10/40 semi synthetic shell oil(as its free) and have never had an issue with it.. however if i had to buy the oil i wud get some millers 10w/60 triple ester oil..
Would you run the 10W60 stuff on the standard engine? I've had a look on Opies site, and they say it's not suitable as a replacement for the 5W40 stuff unless you have major upgrades
10w-60 engine oil is not suitable as an upgrade from oils such as 5w-40 unless you car has significant power upgrades and high oil temperatures

Daz

Former Staff
Think it wud be safe in all honesty matt.. as the 60 is the cold value... plus being forged from factory without balance shafts etc , i cant see an issue

Matt

Administrator
Hmm. Well mine doesn't use any oil what so ever. I've never had to top it up between services, so I might just stick with the 5W40 stuff.

Daz

Former Staff
How far do you go in ure car tho matt... as it might not even get up to temp...so the 5/40 will suffice

Matt

Administrator
most times I drive it, it's just 6 miles to work, and 6 miles back. About 4 miles of that is dual carriage way, so sitting at 60mph. No idea what temp it's getting to, as I can't check on the MFD because of the Pioneer HU, and don't have a scan guage.

Daz

Former Staff
Probs not even getting warm matt.... we do 18 miles in the morning and when using alys car it take 10miles to even register temp on the gauge...

Matt

Administrator
I gave it a good run on Sunday down to Northampton, which is the first long trip it's been on in almost a year. :(

Daz

Former Staff
get ure arse down to westbuty on sunday then lol... got a rolling road goin on with another club...