2007 Astra C 2.2 for not alot

FishHo

So long story short, my mates sister blew up her Astra and immediately went off and bought a Mazda (she'd had enough of the car) . Wants rid of it asap and offered it me I didn't know anything about it so wondered off for a look see.
Its a 2.2 with a z22yh lump. It got a new fuel pump about two weeks ago , then because nobody looked( or bothered listening) the timing chains jumped. Underneath the rocker box cover is a load black crap and yuck. No big sludge lumps but not great. Cheap oil at the local Pit Stop. So either oil starvation or sludge killed the chain oil supply.There are definitely bent valves. It does spin nicely though on the starter. All else seems to be OK. Leather trim, usual bits and pieces. Body is OK for her age. 2 kids plus dog wear and tear. Its an Automatic which Im told was going well till this happened. Just got an MOT (WOF)

Its currently sitting in a garage with the wreckers coming to take a look in the morning. I've tentatively offered to match their price and she's agreed that if I want it and match them I can have it.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo what ya think ... take a risk ?

Oh and I'm in Auckland NZ , so this car is Holden Astra and its not a very popular model. Garage quoted 1800 GBP (3000 NZD) to replace the engine, if they could find one which they couldn't. I'm guessing they are looking for a YH long block.

Its been a long while since I pulled a lump and am now a member of the Subaru owners club but I think I can remember how an inline 4 works :)

Andy

Attachments

• 20170919_161447.jpg
    20170919_161447.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 165

vocky

Staff
a pair of chains, eight inlet valves, possibly some valve guides if they are cracked, head gasket, head bolts and it should be sorted

FishHo

Forgot to add that the garage found several broken rocker arms as well so will need to replace all of those as well.

Cool. I found a similar on on a local car sales site for 3600 GBP so spending a few quid seems to be worth it.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/holden/auction-1419635894.htm
Found a good looking dealer model for 7800 but that price seems stupid high.
I cant find a similar model on UK Ebay, we know them as the Astra SRI , were 2.2 hardtops ever a thing in the UK.