Z22YH 2005 Vectra C 2.2 Direct Engine light

TommyW

Hi all,

New to the site but not to the Vauxhall scene.
I've just brought a 2005 Vectra C 2.2 Direct Auto for my brother in law and after driving it home yesterday from work it developed an issue.

I was overtaking a car, up a hill on the motorway. As i was accelerating, the auto box dropped down a gear and i started the overtake. As i was just passing, my car suddenly kicked/jolted really hard (like it missed a gear) and then started to accelerate again as before but the Spanner and car error light came on (indicating a fault).

I was wondering if there is anyone local to Worthing in West Sussex with OP-COM that would kindly come and read the fault code for me?

TommyW

HarleyPete

First thing to ask is what mileage has it done and have the chains been done? I've not had that issue (same engine and box in a Signum) but have had mine stick in gear when pulling away on a hill. I believe that when the chains stretch or jump it can throw up some issue especially as the Direct has a sensor to pick up the cam position. There is a way to read the code using the pedals I believe as follows:

Not sure what you do on an astra but for the vec-c its as below.

With the ignition off, press and hold down the accelerator and brake pedals as far as they go. Now turn the ignition to position 2 so the dash lights come on, but DO NOT START THE ENGINE!

Any fault codes will either appear in the odometer display as ECNxxxxyy, or the engine management light will flash out the code. If you see it flash 10 - pause - 3 - pause - 10 - 1, then the stored code is P0301.

Not sure but a chance the 1.9 dervs don't do it.

Hope this helps but never tried it on mine as have an Op-Com.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Kb1974

The above is the same for most astras if were a early one then you would have t do the paperclip test .

TommyW

Thanks for the welcome!

The mileage is 110k on a 2005 plate. I don't believe the timing belt has been done and it doesn't rattle at all but this will be a job for me to do in the summer.

I have my own OP-COM which some reason didn't want to talk to the ECM but I've managed to get it to talk and it gave me:
Fuel pressure sensor error,
Misfire on ignition coil 1

I've changed the sensor and the regulator which cleared the first fault then took out the coil and replaced the plugs as I believe the last owner tried to wash the engine with a pressure washer and a small amount of water into the spark plug area on the head via cylinder 1.
All is sorted now and it runs like a dream.

I did try the pedal test but it does nothing on this vectra. I use to have a Astra G coupe turbo which the pedal test worked on but not on this vectra? Is it because the vectra is an auto?

Thank you for all the replies.

HarleyPete

Couldn't answer whether it's to do with it being an auto as never tried it on mine. Glad you got it sorted though. As I said, they are chains in this engine and there are two (if you didn't already know that). It's about a six hour job to do them (unless your evocarlos then it's about five, lol, as he's the guru on these engines). I would recommend you using genuine chains for both but at the least use a genuine timing chain.