2003 Vectra C z22se P0300 misfire fault

Hi, my 2003 Vectra C 2.2 16v SRi (Z22SE), has been running rough over the past week, especially at Idle. I have lack of power when I accelerate while under 2000rpm. My car stutters/hesitates. Once I reach over 2000 revs, my car seems to accelerate fine and drives well. I have a fault code reader and it comes up P0300 (random/multiple cylinder misfire). I have changed engine oil and filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, cleaned and blanked EGR valve, tested with new coil pack, cleaned air filter, sprayed MAF sensor with contact cleaner, using carb cleaner I have cleaned the air intake and throttle body/control valve and my car has still the same fault! I can now hear quite a loud rattle/vibration at idle, is this caused by misfire or could this be a timing/balance chain fault, which is causing the P0300 code?

I appreciate your help,

Thanks,

Craig

I'll check the Cat Richard, but thought my car would have a total lack of power and run rough constantly with the Cat even being part blocked?

I'm thinking it may be an injector blocked, but then again I think I'd have a lack of power at all revs, not just under load.

I'm going to try a new Coolant Temp sensor, as if the ECU thinks the engine is always cold, it's going to run rough at idle and cause misfire with wrong engine timing and too much fuel being pumped through. That will explain the very poor fuel economy!

Hi Rich, I took a few pics and videos today, however I am struggling to upload the videos on here, as it's saying the file size is too large, I managed to reduce the length and quality of the video, its now saying wrong file format! Mpg and avi are not accepted! I am hoping someone can understand the figures of the freeze frame and live data, that was shown on my fault reader.
20180205_153554.jpg

Attachments

• 20180205_153604.jpg
    20180205_153604.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 246
  • 20180205_153712.jpg
    20180205_153712.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 220

richard165

just post video on YouTube and attach link so people can see. need to see the wave of the fuel trim in real time, see if there are flat spots instead of a wavy line I think.

Ok I'll try and upload the videos to YouTube. I don't think it shows a live data graph/wave on my fault reader, it just shows numbers fluctuating.

Just had a quick look at the user manual for my AL519. If there's a G after it, then I can view the Graph data for it!

Here's the YouTube video links:

milo

Going off the first video i say your chains need doing as it all i can hear. On your 2nd video my exhaust made the same noise when my lambda senor had failed.

I noticed on the live data that Fuelsys1 is stating CL Fault. Does that mean that it's closed Loop but only 1 Lamda/oxygen sensor is being used by the ECU? Could one be faulty?

milo

Looking at your live data i see your rpm is hunting have u checked for airleaks around the intake manifold and throttle body? Your lambda senor for bank one keeps going all over should stay in 800-900 on idle tick over and i see yours dropping into 500, 300 and sure spotted 150mv.

milo

I noticed i had a problem as my mpg dropped off a cliff....went from 35mpg to 18mpg.

U could have a faulty o2 sensor but wouldnt like to say if u cant get opcom on it as it gives way more info.

milo

Is the fault code always present? When u clear the fault does it always come straight back? Worse case going off your engine bay video is the timing couldve jumped as chain does sound slack and hitting the timing case. Only way to rule that out is to wipe the rocker cover off and check the timing marks.

Thanks for your help Milo. I've checked and cleaned air intake and throttle body. Not sure how I can find any tiny leaks though, do I spray hoses with carb cleaner and see if I can see any bubbles?

How do I get it on Opcom? By visiting my local garage, I reckon they'll charge £40+?

The EML fault light doesn't come back on straight away after clearing it, it does after driving for a while or leaving it to idle for 10+ mins.

Last edited:

ob one

I wouldn't say go and buy one but i would get it checked my mpg on my old engine dropped to 16 mpg before it died got new engine started off with about 24 mpg 600 miles later it's dropped to 18 had cat checked they said it was blocked just trying to get money for new one

milo

How do I get it on Opcom? By visiting my local garage, I reckon they'll just £40+?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V1-70-OP...017622&hash=item4d59f26b62:g:QroAAOSwTApZbKiH

install it on laptop or borrow a laptop. Best Sub £20 I've spent in a long time.

I've checked and cleaned air intake and throttle body. Not sure how I can find any tiny leaks though, do I spray hoses with carb cleaner and see if I can see any bubbles?

Best way is to have the car running and then spray around the intake manifold (around the edges) and listening for change in engine note/bubbles as the carb cleaner gets taken in.

To check for blocked cat u going to have to take down pipe off and have a look.

quite a loud rattle/vibration at idle

But first thing I would do is get the rocker off and check your timing chain.

evocarlos can u see or recommend anything else??