2.2 Turbo...

TFD

Hi people,

Since there are not that many 2.2 turbo cars around I decided to make a topic for future reference. Might be handy for people how (not) to do it lol.

So long story short: I have a VX220 2.2 which I'm goint to turbocharge. Why turbo? Well....it's the only thing I know from my Nissan years and everyone is allready running a SC on their VX so let's do something a bit different shall we.

Plan is very simple. Keep things pretty stock to keep costs down (spend s**tloads on Nissan builds.... bin there done that, not anymore), keep it simple and "reliable" (like that would be possible when modding lol).

Aiming for 220ish whp at low boost (yes, I'm into wheelhorsepower and not the guestimated BHP stuff, I'm sorry) which is +100 whp extra on the light VX. Seems fun enough for me for the streets. I'm not a trackracer.

So here is the setup I'm planning to put on the Z22SE:

Garrett T25G turbo (Nissan 180SX)
VXR 470cc injectors
2.4 manifold (or build my own, not sure)
OBD-tuner
TAT-concept uprated intercooler for VXT
3" downpipe / 3" 100cell racecat / 2,5" backbox (Imhof)

So let's go:
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_HADS4Y4T.jpg

awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_O8K8J7BT.jpg

IC seems to fit ok
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_RMBBXO7D.jpg

Expensive bolt from the USA for the oilfeed (M12x1.75 to 1/8 NPT)
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_DE36QLBS.jpg

Preparing for some port matching
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_JXJLRNID.jpg

Looked like a problem, but I'll leave it since I'm deleting the EGR
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_7JLJOD8N.jpg

awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_U7F8DCRR.jpg

Drill & tap the oilreturn (M12x1.5 to 10AN)
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_PC4TSA7I.jpg

Prepping the log-manifold
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_4RJO46GZ.jpg

Tested the welding skills
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto360_3X6XVWEJ.jpg

Cleaning up the turbo and do some meassuring
awww.mijnalbum.nl_Foto720_UEFNCFRV.jpg

Next step is to make the turbo and manifold fit. Then I can order the oil and water lines and fab the exhaust.
When the front of the engine is done, I can start with the back (intake manifold,injectors etc.).

Oh and ah... I hope the stock clutch can handle the torque..

Any questions, advice etc. is welcome!

Grtz,
Daniel

TFD

Drilling was easy in aluminium. First a small 6mm drill, then use the 10mm one. Wobble around a bit cause the M12x1.5 tap needs a 10.5mm hole.

The vxr injectors @ 3.8 bar flow 442cc (testresults from Dutch VX220 guy MarkV). With 10psi of boost they flow 480cc. According injectorcalculators I need 520cc for 280bhp @ 85% DC. 220-230 whp = 260ish bhp with a little headroom I guess.

Dave Gilbert

Easy for you because its right in front of you haha.

Hopefully will have enough room to get in on mine.

I will get a 6mm and 10.5mm drill bit.

Shame you didnt film it, you could have given me a tutorial. Haha. Cheers

TFD

Try it the other way around: Drill from the oilpan to the outside of the block. When the car is lifted you should have enough space ;-)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Drilling was easy in aluminium. First a small 6mm drill, then use the 10mm one. Wobble around a bit cause the M12x1.5 tap needs a 10.5mm hole.

The vxr injectors @ 3.8 bar flow 442cc (testresults from Dutch VX220 guy MarkV). With 10psi of boost they flow 480cc. According injectorcalculators I need 520cc for 280bhp @ 85% DC. 220-230 whp = 260ish bhp with a little headroom I guess.
z20let injectors at 4.4bar flow just enough for 260hp tested by me :) but you need a 255 pump

TFD

Copy paste:

Measured static flows: (on MarkV's injector flowbench)

Z20LET: 365cc/min @ 3.8Bar
LSJ: 406cc/min @ 3.8Bar
Blue VXR injectors: 442cc/min @ 3.8Bar

Stock fpr of the z22se is 3.8 bar and rising rate. So 0,8 bar of boost sees 4.6 bar fuelpressure

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Copy paste:

Measured static flows: (on MarkV's injector flowbench)

Z20LET: 365cc/min @ 3.8Bar
LSJ: 406cc/min @ 3.8Bar
Blue VXR injectors: 442cc/min @ 3.8Bar

Stock fpr of the z22se is 3.8 bar and rising rate. So 0,8 bar of boost sees 4.6 bar fuelpressure
stock z22se fpr is 3.0bar @idle :) tested that to with my refrigeration gauges
DSC09713 (Medium).JPG

dewismotorsport

Just noticed your on about WHP and not flywheel bhp.

So vxr will be more suited, and I'm sure the closed loop will be able to trim the fuel enough to make a smooth idle.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
at idle is vacuum
if you can find info to prove my gauge wrong then i would aggree :)
i have an fpr sat on the desk here in front of me but it does not list its rating like the bosch types that have them stamped in the case

TFD

Ok thanx. I think the 3.8bar is with vacuumhose off. Vacuumline on/off is a difference of 0.6ish bar so would end up at 3.2 bar.
Gonna add a pressuregauge to my fuelrail for extra data (y) Can't disagree with two gaugereadings.

Beside this, the 470cc injectors will flow enough anyway I reckon.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Ok thanx. I think the 3.8bar is with vacuumhose off. Vacuumline on/off is a difference of 0.6ish bar so would end up at 3.2 bar.
Gonna add a pressuregauge to my fuelrail for extra data (y) Can't disagree with two gaugereadings.

Beside this, the 470cc injectors will flow enough anyway I reckon.
i thought about a gauge for the fuel rail but dont have any way to view it while driving lol :)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
After a closer look..... your gauge reads 3.2 bar.
its not fantastically accurate due to being dropped far to many times lol even tho its a refco set
i have a bog standard astra outside i could zero the gauge and show the reading from a standard pump and fps if you like ?