2.2 astra SRI mods?

dcp

Hello people,

Im assuming this is the right place to be asking some of the more experinced modders if i could rack their brains. notsure.gif I own a 2003 astra sri 2.2 (aussie boy) with a cat back remus dual pipe set up. Thats it. Im thinking of a "powerchip" ing it (108kw to 120kw) not quiet sure how reliable their claims are though. A K&N POD is also on the cards but i have to find someone that can maybe custom the cold air intake once the pods on. Has anyone done these mods to their 2.2. Even people with a vectra 2.2. I assuming i can do the some mods?? Can i do the "3 air pipe" mod on the astra or is it just a vectra thing. Any response will be greatly appriciated.

Matt

Administrator
I'll move this to the tuning section, as most of the questions are more power related, and I'm sure Vocky can shed some light for you :D

Sjdickso

Staff
It all depends on your budget really. Seen as the zorst has been done. I would look at breathing mods (air box mod where you deristrict it very easy) then i would get a Pannel filter and Vectra C pipe.

Then you can look at Cams / Manifold & Sports Cat.

Larger Throttle body.

Then maybe a custom Remap.

I am sure Vocky will be able to point you more in the right direction.

vocky

Staff
Sjdickso said:
It all depends on your budget really. Seen as the zorst has been done. I would look at breathing mods (air box mod where you deristrict it very easy) then i would get a Pannel filter and Vectra C pipe.

Then you can look at Cams / Manifold & Sports Cat.

Larger Throttle body.

Then maybe a custom Remap.

some good advice already :D

dcp

Thanks guys, Awsome direction. I do have a query regarding intake though. Would you reconmend a K&N 57i kit (bin the factory air box) over the air box mod and K&N panel intake? And by the vectra c pipe is that the actual intake from the front of the car to the air box. Im assuming the vectra one has a larger nozzle?? Sorry for needing the "101" lesson from you chaps.

vocky

Staff
keep the standard airbox and fit a k+n panel filter :)

the vectra C pipe is indeed the airbox intake pipe and is larger :)

Matt

Administrator
dcp said:
Thanks guys, Awsome direction. I do have a query regarding intake though. Would you reconmend a K&N 57i kit (bin the factory air box) over the air box mod and K&N panel intake? And by the vectra c pipe is that the actual intake from the front of the car to the air box. Im assuming the vectra one has a larger nozzle?? Sorry for needing the "101" lesson from you chaps.

As vocky has said, don't bother with teh K&N 57i kit, stick to the air box mods and panel filter. All Vauxhalls are the same, and produce quite a lot of heat under the bonnet, and the 57i kit will more than likely cause a loss of bhp rather than any gains.

dcp

Much appriciated vocky,matt and Sjdickso. Im getting more direction from you guys than some of my local guys here in melbourne. All i have to do is find some good doco on the air box mod now. What are your takes on the "powerchip" wether its a piggy back, chip replacement or straight download?? (is that what you mean by re mapping?...."101"baby) Full respect boys.

vocky

Staff
the z22se ecu can only be remapped, but even that is only a mild tune.

'chipping' is the old way of changing the map, now it's 'flash' eprom's

a replacement ecu will unleash more, but quite expensive and would need a full mapping setup :roll:

dcp

cheers vocky. I know our currency is different but i can get a powerchip for $890 aust. How much extra would a mapping setup be if i was to buy a new chip (even in pounds, and i will convert). Also is a "flash" a remap?Still trying to make sense of it all. Thanks mate.

vocky

Staff
yes a 'flash' is a remap :)

890 aus dollars = £390, so not bad as the uk remap is between £200 and £500 :)

power gains won't be high, but will give better throttle response.

expect a few extra bhp at the top end.

Hareng

This may be of some use but better than the 3 pipe mod and constraints.
Though for a Veccy the pipe inlets could go any where you like where theres room.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 682234.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 682228.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 682236.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL15/728 ... 682242.jpg
The flexi tubing is aluminium available in longer lengths from electrical installations places, local motor factors are only about 1 foot long £5. If need be it can be collapsed to clear obstacles. ie under headlight and into front grill.
Original hole used together with the original tube, a nice tight fit over the alum flexi tube, the clamps can be reused and this time air tight! This alone would be better than a 3 pipe mod, its larger and can be positioned where you like- ram effect possible.
Even with this in single pipe layout, its about the same bore as the inlet pipe but with the disadvantage the air filter acting like a constriction i added another pipe going down the inner wing just on top of the horns. May be able to get more in but smaller diameter piping.
The philosophy you can only get out what you put in may ring true here.

Hareng

I picked the above aluminium flexi tube, various rubber hoses and jubilee clips in a sell off at Halfords of all places £5. May have been something to do with K&N got three stickers as well as instructions for something.
I have been busy the weekend.

Best and cheapest mod has to be the pre cat removal followed by porting the throttle body, can pull away in second now more power at 1500 rpm than before at around 2300 and as good if not better over 4000 rpm, plus it sound ok!
Now to conjur up an inlet pipe.