Z22YH & P1191 fault code

My 2.2 direct shows me the spanner light then dies. The stored fault code is P1191, which, after reading this and other forums could be either my high pressure fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. Am I right in thinking that if my pump was duff, the engine would still run on the lift pump in the tank, albiet lacking in power and not reving over 3000 rpm?

Mine has never shown these symptoms, it just cuts out about 30 seconds after the spanner light comes on. I have a new fuel pressure regulator coming tomorrow which I'm going to fit over the weekend, hopefully fixing the problem.

Any pointers or suggestions on fitting the new reg would be great

Just please don't tell me it'll need a hp pump too at £315+vat

MikeS

Former Staff
his isnt the Field Remedy word for word but is the test to check if pump is faulty!!

(2005.06) - Signum 2003 To 2004 - Engine Type: Z22YH - High Pressure Pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator - Defective (P1191 set)

Signum/Vectra 2003 To 2005 - Engine Type: Z22YH

High Pressure Pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator - Defective (P1191 set)

The customer complains that the MIL is on. P1191 us set in the ECU.

1. High pressure pump defective, vehicle not driveable

2. Fuel pressure regulator defective, vehicle runs in emergency operating mode

This is caused by a defective high pressure pump or fuel pressure regulator valve. In case of customer complaint proceed as follows to verify the defective part:

1. Check fuel feed pressure at high-pressure pump with manometer (engine running)

Is primary feed pressure less than 3, 4 bar?

Yes: Low pressure fuel feed failure -> check fuse, relay, intank module.

2. Measure fuel pressure in the high pressure rail at idle by using Tech2 Datalist.

Is fuel pressure in the high pressure rail less than 600kPa?

Yes: High pressure pump defect, replace.

3. Pull off connector (two-core) of the fuel pressure regulator.

Measure the voltage of the fuel pressure sensor at 3000RPM (standing vehicle) with Tech2.

Is Voltage greater than 1, 2V?

Yes: Fuel pressure regulator defect, replace.

4. Defect is not clearly allocable to one component. Proceed according to TIS 2000 service instruction.

TIS Reference Number: E0001614

Thanks for that, VERY helpfull!!!

When hooked up to a code reader, with the engine at idle it says the fuel pressure is 5000kPa?? I'm assuming thats a good thing?

I read somewhere, on here I think that a dodgy fuel pressure regulator causes low fuel pressure, the ecu then senses this and kills the ignition?

This is exactly what mine does, just stops as if you've turned the key off anywhere between 30 seconds and five minutes after the spanner light comes on, doesn't matter if its just sat there ticking over or you're doing 80mph in lane 3 of the M6....

To all those 'Vauxhall technicians' out there, does my diagnosis sound half right?

Does anyone know if its just a straight forward unscrew, remove knackered reg and replace job?

I SOOOO hope so....

rushy

Depressurise system, unplug wiring harness, and unbolt the 2 bolts. Install is just reversal, tighten bolts to 8 Nm. HTH

HELP! HI people matt here and im new to this site. Any ideas out there ? Have just bought a signum2.2ielegance after many trouble free years of owning a 2.5V6omega,anyways story goeslike this. Decided on signum coz baby on the way (actually 3 days overdue as i write this)and its got loads of room , drove 140 miles to make the purchase and on the way home spanner light came on afer a slight loss of power lasting a split second whilst cruising at 60mph, now the car can drive without fault or just randomly misfire as before or if i boot it it will misfire doesnt like this at all! the spanner light always goes off each time ignition is turned off. Had diagnostics on her and it came up with- clutch switch pedal,unrelated i think, and P1191 undocumented code, so got home and googled it . Not good news me thinks sooo many horror stories.. Can anybody more well informed of you shed any light on my problem? Has anybody had a similar thing happen to them? Does anybody think the car is just gonna conk out on me, in the fast lane, in the pooring rain? yikes :?

vocky

Staff
P1191 Intake Air Duct Air Leak

Not really sure what to check first, but I'm sure someone will be along with some ideas

ok thanx vocky will have a look. All my searching pointed towards a fuel pump/regulator problem, but this sounds quite promising given the lack of power/misfire under acceleration :problem:

s1boy

at last i have found someone with the same fault as me, Smokinmat did you resolve this matter ???? please help

Guys, silly question what size T bit do I need to get the 2 bolts off the regulator looks like t27 but they are VERY tight, any tips?

Mikeyka8139

Mine sounds the same just happened op com says misfire cylinder 3 and low pressure on fuel rail. Hp pump is at 540 kpa so hoping its not that. When I drive and go over 3000 rpm will go into limp mode. Does this sound like regulator guys ?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Mine sounds the same just happened op com says misfire cylinder 3 and low pressure on fuel rail. Hp pump is at 540 kpa so hoping its not that. When I drive and go over 3000 rpm will go into limp mode. Does this sound like regulator guys ?
was posted above
""2. Measure fuel pressure in the high pressure rail at idle by using Tech2 Datalist.

Is fuel pressure in the high pressure rail less than 600kPa?

Yes: High pressure pump defect, replace.""

rushy

Sounds just like HP pump failure m8. Make sure you replace with a continental one, not a siemans that you have fitted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

rushy

What would be pressure normally display guys ?
Over 600 from the tis quote. Its classic HP pump mate, there is enough fuel to get you going but as soon as demand hits a certain point usually around 3000 rpm limp mode kicks in. The pump will cost you about £250 new, but as said only buy a Continental one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Mikeyka8139

Thanks guys I kinda knew it would be the pump and yeh definitely get that one. One that's fitted is the Siemens and has done well really with 108k

rushy

Thanks guys I kinda knew it would be the pump and yeh definitely get that one. One that's fitted is the Siemens and has done well really with 108k
Your lucky with 108k, these Siemens pumps have been going at 40k in some cases. Its a very well known fault, something that even BBC watchdog did an investigation on. Vx refuse to put a recall on it as the car goes into limp not a total shutdown so on Safty grounds they have been able to wiggle there way out of it.

Ask your dealer if your car is eligible for the fuel pressure reg recall, they should be able to tell you with your reg number.

Mikeyka8139

Your lucky with 108k, these Siemens pumps have been going at 40k in some cases. Its a very well known fault, something that even BBC watchdog did an investigation on. Vx refuse to put a recall on it as the car goes into limp not a total shutdown so on Safty grounds they have been able to wiggle there way out of it.

Ask your dealer if your car is eligible for the fuel pressure reg recall, they should be able to tell you with your reg number.

Just been to the local shop after resetting codes on the op-com and ran one of them tests whilst driving. Seems cant upload the file to here though but it say desired fuel pressure 5000kpa which doesnt move and the one below says fuel pressure feedback which whilst driving was going over 7000kpa. Car still misfiring but no faults came up. Getting very confused now

Last edited: