Z22SE engine using oil!

lockie2002

Hi have just bought a 2001 plate astra sri, it has 93,000 miles on clock
The previous owner has just fitted new timing chain, balancing chain, and head gasket!
Under hard acceleration it seems to puff out smoke and if been stood then started back up there seems to be a smell of burn't oil!

Could this be the valve stem oil seals? and is this a common fault with the z22se engine?

cheers

Sjdickso

Staff
Have you done a oil consumption test to see if it using more then a 1 litre every 1k? I believe if it was the stem valve seals then it would only smoke on startup after it has been sat for a while but i may be wrong.

I had a fully engine rebuild at vaux and mine still uses around 1litre every 1k, i have asked this q to a few members some use alot others hardly use any.

I hope you get it sorted anyway.

lockie2002

ok mate not really done a consumption test yet as i only picked car up yesterday but will top up today and test. The puffs of smoke may have been oil burning off from the cat or something maybe just clearing the build up! don't know i'm only guessing really! Know nothing about these engines cheers mate

Drakey

I`m quite a high oil user, but due to this forum it`s never been an issue, never smoked as far as I`m aware though. (or smelt)
I`m sure someone will have the answer, and hopefully its nothing major.

vocky

Staff
I hope its not the chain had snapped and then it's been rebuilt notsure.gif

because sometimes it can damage the pistons and this causes the smoking dunno..

lockie2002

vocky said:

:( oh dear that doesn't sound good! it does still pull well but is defo burning oil. came down the slip road today and it stalled! started straight back up but accelerated hard from the lights and loads of smoke poured out the back whats my options? source another z22se? or put in/rebuild with new rings, liners, valve stem oil seals etc......?

vocky

Staff
get a compression test done, that will prove if the rings are squashed :roll:

it would only require new pistons, depends whats wrong and what you want to do dunno..

lockie2002

vocky said:
get a compression test done, that will prove if the rings are squashed :roll:

it would only require new pistons, depends whats wrong and what you want to do dunno..
well searching for another engine but may get compression test done and see how it's doing! what should normal compression be at? psi/bar?

george

lockie2002 said:
vocky said:

:( oh dear that doesn't sound good! it does still pull well but is defo burning oil. came down the slip road today and it stalled! started straight back up but accelerated hard from the lights and loads of smoke poured out the back whats my options? source another z22se? or put in/rebuild with new rings, liners, valve stem oil seals etc......?

Have identical problem with my car after head gasket replacement without chain snap. Still trying to come up with correct diagnosis of fault so if you find cause and solution please advise dunno.. dunno..

Can pistons be replaced from bottom of engine without head removal? notsure.gif

vocky

Staff
it could be your piston rings failed due to the high compression caused by your blocked exhaust, but the head has to come off to remove the pistons :(

f0s

4 days ago, i'm stay my car to garage. i'm planning to remove head and fix engine (rings, liners & etc...) :)
work cost ~500EUR + details

george

vocky said:
it could be your piston rings failed due to the high compression caused by your blocked exhaust, but the head has to come off to remove the pistons :(

Hi vocky i've struggled about 1K miles since head gasket replacement with severe oil smoking problem, do you think bores will be ok if piston rings/oil scraper rings are damaged? notsure.gif

vocky

Staff
you need to examine the bores for any damage, but they should be ok dunno..

a compression test is the cheapest way of detecting if theres a problem :)