Webcon throttle bodies

vocky

Staff
after many, many months of looking at every possible option I decided that the WEBCON throttle bodies kit was the best option for my vx220 :)

so Webcon set 4 is mine :LOL:

some may wonder why I took this decision, but I want the best quality parts I can afford, so Emerald would have been my first choice for an ecu, that and mapping equals £1100, throttle bodies would be another £900 (don't forget the costs include linkages, sensors, air filters etc)

so the Webcon Alpha £1850 tms kit was quite a good deal :)

what you get;

quality is second to none, check out the Webcon inlet manifold

it took me almost four hours to port match it perfectly to my vx220 ported head, but time well spent :D
you can just make out the core plugs which blank off the original injector holes

Attachments

• IMGP2235.JPG
    IMGP2235.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 4,323
  • IMGP2226.JPG
    IMGP2226.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 4,340
  • IMGP2238.JPG
    IMGP2238.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 4,388
Last edited:

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Re: TMS - Webcon throttle bodies

Looks stunning Neil. Has the car been mapped and tested yet? That manifold looks like something that i've made!! ;-)

vocky

Staff

mapping is still weeks away Johnny, I still haven't finished the rebuild cry..

but when it is mapped it will be mapped to all my mods :D

vocky

Staff

fitting the throttle pedal assembly was probably the hardest part, the bolts on the vx220 are a sod to get at !

still it all fitted perfectly (the cable isn't adjusted in the pics)

Attachments

• IMGP2241.JPG
    IMGP2241.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 4,005
  • IMGP2242.JPG
    IMGP2242.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 3,952

vocky

Staff

the cable fits neatly behind the sill trim and then goes behind the seatbelt and once a hole is drilled in the bulkhead it's ready to connect to the itb's :)

don't worry the cable is miles away from the drive belt, it's just the angle of the pic :roll:

Attachments

• IMGP2243.JPG
    IMGP2243.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 3,900
  • IMGP2246.JPG
    IMGP2246.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 3,916

Jamee

very nice Neil, lovely set up and should sound awesome when pushed.

Jamee

what you hoping to get after all mods and remap, bhp and torque?

timmee

i take it you are bring it up to emerald for the mapping if so let me know when as they are based about 5mins drive from my house and i'll pop round in the corsa and dave walker who owns emerald live just down the road and johnny has drove by his house twice

vocky

Staff

a better pic of the throttle cable

my adjustable fuel pressure regulator mounted and set to 3.5 Bar 8)

trigger wheel and crank sensor mounted
to align: set the engine so that number One piston is at top dead centre, align the 9th tooth (after the 'gap/missing' tooth) with the sensor, the 'gap/missing' tooth of the trigger wheel should be heading towards top dead centre

throttle bodies mounted and the temporary fuel pressure gauge fitted to set up the fuel pressure

I decided to remove the standard ecu and engine loom completely (including the transponder from the steering column), this does create extra work (including fitting another Cat 2 immobiliser) but I think it's worth the hassle dunno..

So I identified which wires were required;
rev counter
fan relay
fuel pump relay
engine management light
ignition switched positive
engine temperature gauge (not run to boot)

the wires were extended to the boot compartment

where I added a plug

Attachments

• IMGP2247.JPG
    IMGP2247.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 3,880
  • IMGP2250.JPG
    IMGP2250.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 3,892
  • IMGP2252.JPG
    IMGP2252.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 3,907
  • IMGP2253.JPG
    IMGP2253.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,846
  • IMGP2254.JPG
    IMGP2254.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 3,981
  • IMGP2239.JPG
    IMGP2239.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,878
  • IMGP2255.JPG
    IMGP2255.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 3,822
  • IMGP2256.JPG
    IMGP2256.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 3,821
  • IMGP2258.JPG
    IMGP2258.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 3,784

vocky

Staff

I then modified the Webcon wiring loom, I added a socket so that the two looms can be easily seperated when the clam is removed :)

the coil pack has the ignition amplifier removed, you need to trim the plastic slightly to allow the Webcon plug to fit the adaptor plate

next step is to fit the Webcon wiring loom

Attachments

• IMGP2259.JPG
    IMGP2259.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 3,708
  • IMGP2260.JPG
    IMGP2260.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 3,711
  • IMGP2236.JPG
    IMGP2236.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 3,769
  • IMGP2263.JPG
    IMGP2263.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 3,714
  • IMGP2262.JPG
    IMGP2262.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 3,715

vocky

Staff

I had to rebalance the throttle bodies because I removed them from the inlet manifold (to port match the manifold) and managed to get the engine running reasonably what..

the next step is mapping the ecu to my engine mods, it's booked in next month, so until then I just need to tidy up the loose ends :)

first issue was the top hose rubbing on the air filter, a simple solution was to cut the hose, twist the end to angle it away from the air filter and fit an aluminium joining piece :)

so thats where I'm at, until it's mapped nothing much to say what..

but if the sound is anything to go by they are fantastic 20.gif

slimvince

VERY nice! Awaiting the dyno results after mapping!
Some interesting finds:

The Emerald is not piggybacking, it replaces the orig. ECU :)
There is an accelerator pedal + cable readymade that fits the vx220 (maybe it is the one from the Elise?) :)
Soon we will know how to make the dashboard (speedo, rev counter etc) work without the orig ECU :)

Makes me think that I could use this kit without the TB:s and injectors (to install them as a stage 2) to get a mappable car? dunno...
The kit apparently includes everything needed for replacing the orig ECU.

If you are not happy with the kit I'll relieve it from you in a blink. :wink:

alanoo

Reminds me of my VX a few weeks ago.

You were right about completely removing the old loom, we only removed the engine (ECU) loom, but we should have removed the rest (like the loom from the ECU power relay).

Your issue with engine temp is about the water temp indication on the stack ?
I may have a solution for you in a few weeks ;)
We'll have a small interface for this soon and I may have some details tomorrow :D

alanoo

slimvince said:
Soon we will know how to make the dashboard (speedo, rev counter etc) work without the orig ECU :)

I still do not understand where TMS/Weber found an issue with that.
ALL (I mean ALL) apart the water temp is working very easily and classicaly on the stack unit.

The speedo is only using the ABS ECU, nothing with the ECU
The rev counter is a very classic 1 impulsion / rev system which normally works with any standalone
It is simply straightforward

slimvince

alanoo said:
slimvince said:

I still do not understand where TMS/Weber found an issue with that.
ALL (I mean ALL) apart the water temp is working very easily and classicaly on the stack unit.

The speedo is only using the ABS ECU, nothing with the ECU
The rev counter is a very classic 1 impulsion / rev system which normally works with any standalone
It is simply straightforward
Yes, my impression too reading the schematics was that it should be quite straightforward... You have been through this recently in real life too, so now we KNOW, just rather than guessing. cheers.. Probably "some garages" have been reluctant to give away this knowledge to their competitors or to us DIY:ers. dunno..

exmantaa

<Slightly off topic>
I'm also very interrested in the Stack signalling for my LSJ/US ECU conversion. And more precise the water temp and rpm signal. (Still have to measure the Stack wires what exactly is going on there...)
Maybe you can put some info in a seperate (sticky?) topic for all the DIY people?

Thxs

vocky

Staff

it's not difficult to bypass the original ecu wiring circuits :D

rad fans (blue/grey - X2 pin 13) - simply connect to the new ecu's fan output (later kits have a standalone fan temp sensor)

rev counter (white/black - X2 pin 2) - simply connects to the new ecu's rev counter output

temp gauge (green/blue - X2 pin 9) - simply connect to the new ecu's temp gauge output

oil light (brown/blue - X3 pin 8 ) - requires the plug from the old loom connecting between the sender and x3 pin 8

eml light (brown/blue - X3 pin10) - requires the transponder removing to use, connects to shift/eml light output of new ecu

switched ignition supply (green - X2 pin 5) - connect to new ecu

fuel pump circuit - this was quite complicated, but I got there in the end

in the boot relay loom; K18 = ecu relay, K16 = fuel pump relay
a; cut the brown wire from pin 86 K18 where it connects to pin 30 K18 then connect the brown wire (pin 86 K18) to the white/violet wire of K16 pin 85.
b; cut the green/pink wire pin 85 K18 so that you have enough wire to connect it to the black wire at pin 86 of K16.
c; then connect the new ecu fuel pump positive wire to the white/violet wire X2 pin 8

TIS wiring diagram can be found here ..... http://www.speedsterclub.nl/bibliotheek ... 0-%201.pdf

alanoo

Your solution for the FAN is very smart... so you made no modification to the original relay in the front of car ?

EDIT : notsure.gif After some reflexion I wonder if with this solution you won't have the same last issue we have : the stack remains powered when you switch the car off