That would be the problem then !

vocky

Staff
Hmmm, don't think they should look like this notsure.gif

melted lambda sensor, caught just in time :eek:

cat, caught a bit too late :LOL:

after removing the blockage, a straight through cat - not good for the mot cryb..

Attachments

• IMGP2567.JPG
    IMGP2567.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 761
  • IMGP2569.JPG
    IMGP2569.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 769
  • IMGP2570.JPG
    IMGP2570.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 772

vocky

Staff
yes it's my vx220 exhaust :(

seems the cat collapsed internally, it seemed fine when I fitted it after installing the new engine notsure.gif

still gives me an excuse to improve the exhaust, it was a 300 cell and I will fit a 200 cell. My ecu doesn't have a lambda after the cat so no worries about an eml (y)

vocky

Staff
I've ordered a Hoffman 200 cell sports cat, a new 2.5" 90 degree bend and a NGK lambda sensor. So should have a better cat section once finished :)

this is what that section looked like when I first made it

Attachments

• IMGP1033.JPG
    IMGP1033.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 703

alanoo

vocky said:
yes it's my vx220 exhaust :(

seems the cat collapsed internally, it seemed fine when I fitted it after installing the new engine notsure.gif

still gives me an excuse to improve the exhaust, it was a 300 cell and I will fit a 200 cell. My ecu doesn't have a lambda after the cat so no worries about an eml (y)

Missfires will kill cats in a few seconds, haven't you got some issues having a good fit for the coil pack at first ? notsure.gif

vocky

Staff
it was caused by a back-fire (n)

the plugs / coilpack are ok, I just checked the plugs and they are all the same colour (y)

I received the exhaust parts yesterday and knocked up a new cat section, I made the 90 degree angle less tight this time by fitting the cat slightly diagonal. Just need some new gaskets and then it will get fitted :clap:

Attachments

• IMGP2571.JPG
    IMGP2571.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 594

winstar

vocky said:
it was caused by a back-fire (n)

the plugs / coilpack are ok, I just checked the plugs and they are all the same colour (y)

I received the exhaust parts yesterday and knocked up a new cat section, I made the 90 degree angle less tight this time by fitting the cat slightly diagonal. Just need some new gaskets and then it will get fitted :clap:

unless it's the angle of the photo that cats fitted the wrong way round, the shallower cone should be at the inflow side to diffuse the high velocity gas into the cat brick

vocky

Staff
yes it's the angle of the pic, both ends are identical :)

haven't you got some issues having a good fit for the coil pack at first

that got me thinking... I never did sort out a permanent fix did I :oops:

so.......

I removed the coil pack extensions and found some dodgy looking springs and a black thing in between notsure.gif

I got out a spare set of extensions and found just a single spring, this was about 5mm shorter than the 'dodgy' set up so I used one of the short springs and added it inside the new extension, now I have a positive 5mm of spring pressure on the plugs :clap:

so thanks for reminding me alanoo (y)

Attachments

• IMGP2575.JPG
    IMGP2575.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 552
  • IMGP2576.JPG
    IMGP2576.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 538

Muncher83

Neil, I'm presuming that setup would work for me with my LSJ head? Is that's all it takes, two shorter springs :eh:

I'd really like to use my LSJ cam cover instead of a z22se one if possible...

vocky

Staff
all you need to do is get the later spec extensions, which have a single long spring and then use one of the older shorter springs as well (I fitted the shorter spring to the top of the extension, so it doesn't fall out !)

but really any suitable long spring will work fine :)

just ensure that when the coil pack sits on the plugs you have some tension, like on a standard set up.