My vx220 project

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocky

Staff
Every engine needs to start somewhere, so here is the brand new crank direct from the states.
SAM_2713.JPG

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
I bought some brand new genuine number plate lights a few months ago and finally fitted them yesterday, they are from the vectra B facelift, so quite easy to get hold of.

VAUXHALL PART NUMBER 9135535

vocky

Staff
Still waiting for some more goodies to be made in the states, so slow progress on the new engine

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
well I've sold my current block assembly (saab block with under piston oil jets, wiseco 11:1 pistons, eagle steel rods, z22yh crank) so I will shortly be collecting another saab block to build my Phase 4 engine with :)

vocky

Staff
yep, with throttle bodies and stage 2 comp cams, so another 220bhp ITB vx (y)

I have stripped my latest Saab B207 block and will add some pics later

vocky

Staff
I don't know what mileage the saab turbo had done but inside the engine is like new :)

The new crank actually fits :D

SAM_2721.JPG

Last edited:

OAKMERE

Should make an interesting project. How will the longer throw cope with 7800rpm? Or are you looking for more power with a lower limit?

vocky

Staff
my current engines power climbs very nicely to 7500, but then only climbs a little more to 7900, this engine should be good to rev just past 7500, so hopefully I won't notice the difference on the road.

Plus the new engine will be good for over 500bhp, so plenty of scope for future upgrades :whistle:

Last edited:

vocky

Staff
I'm not aiming for any particular bhp figure with this engine, it's just something I've always wanted to build for myself.

Scanning the web I've found only a few people mention it, yet nobody seems to have built one, probably due to the cost vrs bhp gains.

GM have now started producing a 2.5 16v engine for the usa market, but the head design is reversed and nothing looks like it will fit our z22se/z22yh/z20net/LE5/L61/b207 engines.

OAKMERE

The longer throw gives a 2.3 capacity or will the new liners give you more. Will you stick with the same cams or somthing else? Not sure what bhp gain .1 or .2 of a litre would give?
Can you up compression to say 13/1 with everything upgraded?
I know it is not all about chasing specific targets but it is fun upgrading everything to the max. After I came away from my CS mapping session I started to think would a 2.5" backbox and larger tb make a differance it gets addictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.