eaton m62 supercharger rebuild/porting

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
got bored so i took my supercharger apart :)

step one rebuild and clean the snout

the snout contains 2 bearings and a twin lip viton seal
1x 6204 c3 (must be c3 rating for high speed oll/heat clearance)
1x 6203 c3 (must be c3 rating for high speed oil/heat clearance)
1x 20x47x7-R21(must be viton) (its pretty hard to find a twin lip seal in 7mm wide but the single lip will work just fine r21= single - r23 = twin lip)

with the oil drained and the bolts removed the case can be tapped apart with a hammer stale like so
WP_001387.jpg

with the pulley and hub removed from the snout shaft the shaft can be removed by fitting a m8 bolt in the end of the shaft
placing the alloy casing on 2 blocks of wood then tapping the shaft down and out
then remove the retaining ring for the seal with a thin flat screwdriver
use a suitable size drift to tap the end bearing and seal from the case i used to blocks of wood upended to hold the case up
and the random drive shaft on the floor was used as a drift
heres the the shaft and bearing/seal/clip removed from the snout
WP_001388.jpg

to remove the inner bearing you will need a good quality bearing puller
i used a brass cap on the end of the puller shaft to stop it marking it up
WP_001389.jpg

next we do the same thing for the bearing
WP_001390.jpg

with the shaft clear of bearings i unpacked the new bearings and removed the dust seals (must not be fitted with them in place)
they can be removed with a small screwdriver pop and twist
WP_001391.jpg

the bearing was tapped on to the shaft with some old bearing shells i had about
be sure to only hit the centre on the new bearing you don't want to bruise it by hitting it on the outside edge
the snout drive was then tapped in place with a large brass nut and hitting the m8 bolt in the other end of the shaft
WP_001393.jpg

here's why we use brass no marks :)
WP_001395.jpg

the snout body was then cleaned with lashings of 1:1 TFR and a scrubbing brush
WP_001394.jpg

the outer bearing was tapped in to the snout body with a 30mm socket till it hit home outside of the bearing only
the inner bearing is floating and has a spring behind it to take up the slack
with the shaft inserted in the snout and thru the new outer bearing i used 2 m10 nuts and 2 old bearings with a long m8 bolt 2 washer to pull the shaft into the snout and outer bearing
refitted the seal and retaining ring then used the 2 old bearings and the long m8 bolt to pull the pulley hub on to the shaft
a screwdriver was used in the pins in the other end of the shaft to hold it still while tightening the bolt down

here's the rebuilt snout all clean and ready to roll
WP_001396.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED! :)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
case outlet reshaping

time to open up the case a little to let the air flow thru smother
the edges of the case need to stay in the same angle as the rotor blades or the seal of the rotor case surface will be affected
marked mine up with a straight edge
WP_001397.jpg

removed the excess material from the edge
WP_001399.jpg

the edges were filed flat then chamfered to the inside with the deburring tool
WP_001401.jpg

WP_001404.jpg

WP_001406.jpg

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
next bit

porting of the throttle body end

heres the normal size
WP_001407.jpg

working the edges down with a tungsten carbide burr
WP_001409.jpg

blending in
WP_001410.jpg

it went in deep :)
WP_001411.jpg

WP_001413.jpg

i then cleaned the case with lashing of TFR and a scrubbing brush you can see how the tfr makes the bear alloy go white
WP_001414.jpg

once it was clean
you can see at the back i did go over the burr work with a scotch pad in my homemade polishing tool so to clean it up and smooth it out
WP_001417.jpg

the rear needle bearings had new grease in as i had a tube of the proper stuff handy
WP_001418.jpg

rotors were reinstalled and the proper red anaerobic sealant applied to both sealing surfaces then all bolted back together with the reconditioned snout
bolts were torqued up to 30 nm
just like new :)
WP_001421.jpg

just need to fill it with 100ml of oil and refit the plug then its time for testing :)

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
its back on the car and all is well
will take it for a road test real soon :)
its a bit quieter than it was as ive also fitted an aftermarket coupler that was on the other charger the refresh of grease on the rear needle roller bearings helps also :)

hoping for some more throttle response and some more power from the mods :)

MikeS

Former Staff
"still haven't had time to fit mine let alone port it! top work as always Carl! (y)"

Indeed,I was suppose to start collecting parts but instead spending majority of my spare time either
talking to estate agents or looking at houses to buy

It is shameful to say but since refurbing my alloys and lowering the car I have done little else to it

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
still haven't had time to fit mine let alone port it! top work as always Carl! (y)
hehe did you get that pulley i never heard back from you that it came ?
you are definitely trying to get 320bhp aren't you :LOL:
every little helps :)
tbf neil i still go so much to do before it goes to the rollers and there a a couple of things worrying me
1. the mot next month
2. the gearbox

its bound to fail on emissions without a cat and the abs and tc light are on all the time now even after a new hub cant find the issue :(

the gearbox is rattling like a bag of bolts in a washing machine on the spin cycle so time for a different box thats been reconditioned

MikeS

Former Staff
"its bound to fail on emissions without a cat and the abs and tc light are on all the time now even after a new hub cant find the issue"

opcom interface with Tc/ABS will show wheel speed from all 4 sensors, i

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
laptop battery aint good enough to let me drive the car and take live readings
suspected abs ecu fault or the wires under the car a not making proper connection

@z22se-fan m32?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
M32 gearbox 6 speed. It can be done on our engines
lol no that would be like holding a stick or lit dynamite with a 3 sec fuse there too unreliable for me to even consider
have looked at the f40 as there good to 400nm due to the 3 shaft system inside
the problem is the crank flywheel and clutch are balanced to suit the f23 if i change then it would be a new flywheel and clutch time