bottom end rebuild

vocky

Staff
I've got a spare z22se block in my garage and intend to rebuild it with a few mods ready to fit into my vx220

mods to include; eagle rods, balancer shafts deletion, lightened flywheel and maybe low compression pistons for a diy sc conversion - depending on which route I take, although it could still be throttle bodies, time will tell rofl..

anyone interested in a picture strip and rebuild notsure.gif

Baz

id be interseted in the strip vocky :wink: need to look at a few things when mines comes out for a look at

vocky

Staff
I will start taking some pics then, I've already stripped a little, but can restage the removal :D

I can't believe how much the balancer shafts weigh :eek:

rushy

Good to see the inside of what has been causing me so much trouble. Ps do you have a vec c as well as your b.

vocky

Staff
rushy said:
So you would be the vocky on vec c forum then. Your paint thread seems to have started something off!

I hope so, vx are having a laugh with the different shade front bumpers

I must pop to the dealer and make a complaint about mine

Daz

Former Staff
If the balance shafts are deleted,how do you run the water pump? or do the gears for the shafts stay in place

vocky

Staff
Daz said:
If the balance shafts are deleted,how do you run the water pump? or do the gears for the shafts stay in place

there's a few ways of doing it

1, buy the gm neutral balancer shafts
2, cut the shaft off the cog and fit a sleeve over the rear oil way
3, fit an electric pump

I will be cutting the shaft off the cog, then the chain will just run the water pump

The shafts are quite heavy and the guys in the usa reckon upto 10 bhp gain from removing them, upto 15 bhp if you remove the water pump as well :eek:

vocky

Staff
Daz said:
Bloody hell that quite abig gain for removing them..

must admit I was surprised at how much the gain was, but they do weigh alot and they spin at twice the engine speed.

also the engine revs much better with them removed, similar to fitting a lightened flywheel :)

Lightning Coupé

lol, quite a good link innit! So do you think it will run "as rough as an old cob" whithout the balancer shafts? lol. Have the american boys posted any reviews on there de-balanced engines? Have you got a link Vocky? Its all intresting stuff! :D

vocky

Staff
no one has actually moaned about not having them

I will warn you first, they take no prisoners on this site, I've been flamed so many times I'm on Burger King's menu :eek:

also remember the only engine the same as the z22se is the 'ecotec 2.2' or L61 as they call it.

the other 2.2, the 2200, the 2.3, the 2.4 are american engines and NOTHING is the same as a z22se

http://www.j-body.org/forums/list.php?f=2