Astra Front Mount onto Vectra B mod

JohnnyN

Former Staff
I am after a picture of the front engine mount from the 2.2 Astra please. A picture of where its mounted to would be great. I'm looking to buy a mount and modify it in some way to suit the Vectra B 2.2. I've got a plan in mind but just need to clarify by seeing a pic of the mount in situe.

vocky

Staff
Re: Help Required from 2.2 Astra Owners

it's the same as the vx220 front mount Johnny

it just bolts to a couple of bits of metal plate

vocky

Staff

the vx220 bracket looks like this, you should be able to get one from a breakers as they unbolt

you can see the mount on the gearbox

Attachments

• IMGP1066.JPG
    IMGP1066.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,061

JohnnyN

Former Staff

I'm thinking of adapting this mount. Bolting to the front of the engine/box and then making up some sort of clamping blocks with a shaft running between the clamping thru' the mount?? The clamping will be secured around the sub frame.

awww.vauxhall_car_parts.co.uk_acatalog_90576047N_2.jpg

vocky

Staff

thats basically what the vx220/astra mount does, just a bolt clamping the mount and metal brackets together

the vx220 mount looks almost the same as your pic, but slightly shorter

I have a vx220 rear mount if you want one to play with, I'm sure you could machine it to fit :)

Attachments

• IMGP1574.JPG
    IMGP1574.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,024

JohnnyN

Former Staff

EDIT!!

I got so excited that I misread the post! I reckon I can get the front mount to fit. I just need to think how i'm going to be able to drill into the side of the box? I've got a 90` drilling head that might just work.

Daz

Former Staff

The fromt bracket on the astra is welded to the subframe....my idea was to locate a scrap astra and remove the mouting and weld it to the vectra subframe..then as john said above use a an angle drill to drill the box....

JohnnyN

Former Staff

What would be the chances of swarf from the drilling of the hole finding its way into the gearbox or is there plenty of land around the hole?

vocky

Staff

the mounting holes are on the bellhousing Johnny, so nowhere near the gearbox oil :)

you could easily make a bracket for the subframe, it's just metal plate

JohnnyN

Former Staff

That's that then. Any idea of a price for the mount?? The one that I pictured above was £29.95

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Righty then...............

I ordered one of these today...........

awww.vauxhall_car_parts.co.uk_acatalog_90576047N_2.jpg

£41 from the main stealer. Arriving on Wednesday. Not sure wheather to go with 2 weld bits of angle onto the engine bed or to design and make a sturdy aluminium bolted bracket to attach to the bed??

I'll drill and tap the holes M10 x 1.75 and fit the mount first, then go about the design of the bracket in the next few days after that. The most important thing about putting the holes in is to make sure i've got anough room to get the right angled drill attachment in and then keep it square to the face to be drilled.

I'll make up a little drill jig too me thinks.

vocky

Staff
difficult to know which method will be best for the subframe mount, I would go with a welded bracket, but then thats because I don't have the machinery to create an alloy mounting like you do Johnny.

how will you mount the alloy bracket to the subframe, I suppose you could drill a 10mm hole all the way through the subframe, then make the bottom hole 20mm and fit a 20mm hollow tube into the hole, then weld the bottom, thus a strong mounting

JohnnyN

Former Staff
I'm a little unsure about the room at the moment. I do need to get out and have a proper look. There are a few variations of the above theme that i've got rattling around.

;-)

blue se2

Here's a pic of the mount on a 1.4 astra hope it helps

Attachments

• 29082008115.jpg
    29082008115.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 518
  • 29082008116.jpg
    29082008116.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 505

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Damn Neil, i'm going to bend you over and f**k you on Sunday!! I love you!!

Well done mate!

cheers.. flowers.gif cheers..